"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Saturday, April 27, 2013

If it isn't one damn thing it's two damn things. Or three.
Posted by Jill | 6:46 AM
I'd like to thank my good blogbuddy jurassicpork for doing the heavy lifting around here lately. If you appreciate what he's done, I hope you'll go over to his place and throw some shekels into the hat by clicking the "donate" button.

It has not been wonderful times here at Casa la Brilliant. JP has made reference to what I call the Great Teddybear Apocalypse of 2013, which consists of no less than twenty-one cartons of assorted teddybears of various values and their little chairs, porch swings, and baby carriages that decorated every nook and cranny of my late mother's house. This is on top of the cartons of old family photos, all my diplomas, every paper I ever wrote in school, letters from the first guy Mom dated after she and my father split up, a few selected keepsakes from the hundreds and hundreds of cards her second husband sent her over the years as he tried in vain to make her feel secure and loved, boxes and boxes of slides that need to be sorted, organized, and sent out for digitizing. Going through this stuff has been like reliving my childhood all over again, and that is not always a pleasant thing to do, particularly when I look at photos of the cute girl I used to be and as commentary on each one, saying "that girl thought she was fat"; "that girl thought she was ugly"; "that girl thought no one would ever love her"; "that girl thought she was fat AND ugly". Then there is the motherlode of all memorabilia -- the home movie clips taken from about 1931 - 1938, which show the happy little girl my mother was until something went terribly, terribly wrong at her home, and her smiling mother. One of these clips is of a joyous extended family dinner, and from this, combined with what we know from what our mother told us, we surmise that this must be a reunion with my grandmother's other siblings and parents, who came here and then went back to Poland -- just in time for Hitler. We surmise that the loss of her family devastated my grandmother and turned her into the bitter, angry, abusive woman we'd heard about all through our childhood.

So I was still trying to process all this when the workload went nuts again, and for the first three months of the year, it was back to 60-80 hour workweeks. Then in early March, Mr. Brilliant developed a health issue that turned into the Magical Three Escalating Tests which always result in bad news. I am not going to go into details in the interest of Mr. B's privacy, but it is a very difficult time for us, and I don't think I can be blamed for turning my attention inward, despite the many horrors happening in the US and the world. So I hope you'll throw some support to JP if you can for picking up the slack while I scramble with scans and doctors and fighting to keep working while HR seems bound and determined to kick me out on "family leave".

Thanks.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger jurassicpork said...
We're lib'rals, Mrs. Brilliant. We take care of each other.

Blogger Phil said...
This news sounds......ominous.

I will see if The Big Guy is still listening, for you and Hubby.

Anonymous Athenawise said...
Jill, I love your blog, and I hope things get better for you and your husband. Sending good thoughts.