"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Monday, September 17, 2012

Greetings from one of the people Willard Rmoney just labeled a moocher.
Posted by Jill | 9:58 PM
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax...my job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives." -- Willard Rmoney, Republican nominee for the Presidency of the United States


Hello, everyone. You know me, sort of. You haven't seen much of me lately, because I've been working. My timesheet the last couple of weeks has contained numbers like 67 hours, 71 hours, 78 hours. You haven't read much of my writing because I haven't had a complete day off since July 6, not even weekends. And even during that July 4 week when I burned four vacation days (the very existence of which makes me a "taker", not a "maker"), I spent the equivalent of about 2-1/2 days working.

I work for a giant multinational corporation. I started there in 2008, a month after I was laid off from my previous job, where I was paid essentially through government research grants. So I guess during those eight years I really WAS just a sucker at the government teat, just like Willard says. But today I work for a giant multinational corporation.

They seem to think pretty well of me. I have a nice little lucite plaque that says "Special Recognition Award" on it, and affixed to this plaque are three little badges. One of them says "Teamwork", one says "Delivering results", and the third says "Overcoming complexity." Last year the word "Senior" was put in front of my title, which has nothing to do with age, but did have to do with a reasonably sizable raise and a better bonus target. (No, it is not a financial firm, so the bonus is take-a-nice-vacation or add-a-deck-to-the-house size, not put-a-down-payment-on-a-Hamptons-house size.) Part of the reason I am being worked to death on the most difficult projects is because they know I'll put in the effort and move mountains to get it done. I may not like having no life, but I do like the work that I do.

I get paid every two weeks. I have pretty good benefits too, because the company I work for is not headquartered in the US and the countries it operates in tend to have strong worker protections and generous benefits. I'm lucky, because I carried the box of eight years of stuff out to my car on August 30, 2008 -- barely a month before the entire economy landed in the crapper. Two weeks later I had an offer from the company I work for now. Like I said -- lucky. Without this, I would probably still be an over-55 Cold Fusion web developer, still looking for a job. Or maybe I'd be in the Proofread College Essay business. You never know. But instead I was lucky -- luckier than most people my age. I remind myself of this on days like the one last week when I nearly had a stress meltdown in the office and pleaded sick so I could go home and work there the rest of the day -- and I drove home 14 miles down a New Jersey highway, screaming at the top of my lungs at no one.

I don't have consumer debt at the moment. I pay the mortgage on time. I've been married to the same man for twenty-six years. I have no police record. I've never been arrested. I don't litter, I donate to charity, I try to pay my main writer, and I'm nice to elderly people and small children. I pay a higher percentage of my income in taxes than Willard Rmoney does.

But in Willard Rmoney's world, I am a loser, a parasite, a "taker", not a "maker". Why? Because I'm going to vote for Barack Obama in November. It's not that I think he's done a spectacular job. Like many others, including some who write on this very blog, I'm bitterly disappointed by him. But he's about the best we've got, and the thought of a Republican-dominated government with an entitled, condescending jackass like Willard Rmoney is just too appalling and frightening to even contemplate.

David Corn has the entire ugly video here. Send it to your friends who think their lives will be better if they just elect an entitled sociopath to the presidency.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
6 Comments:
Anonymous The WP said...
Count me in, Brilliant. I'm moocher, too, and proud of it.


Blogger Patricia said...
I wonder if Mitt's Dad collected Social Security, or benefited from Medicare? Oh those darned "entitlements", that we all pay for. Sorry Mitt, since my hours were cut, I can't pay the income taxes I used to. I am sure he'll find a way to fix that, if he gets into office. But after his latest faux pas, I doubt it.

Blogger Bob said...
I have never heard anything from a presidential candidate as heartlessly cynical as what Rmoney said. That smirk is for real. It's the only smile he has.

Blogger jurassicpork said...
Jill, if Wall Street was full of conscientious, compassionate people like you instead of the upholstered jackals that are loping through it, we'd have only half the problems we do.

Fuck Romney. He hoisted himself on his own petard and we should be grateful to both him and that anonymous waiter who took that video (Tengrain at Mock, Paper, Scissors says Kos lost the scoop when his plantation of writers and moderators banned the leaker for trollage, an odd reaction for a blog that's so militantly pro-Obama, Kos lashed out at his plantation slaves for blowing the scoop but then deleted it so he wouldn't alienate his golden egg-laying geese.). If the post-Libya press conference on September 12th didn't euthanize his campaign, nothing will.

Blogger CAFKIA said...
@Patricia: Jon Stewart showed video proof of Mitt's dad being on welfare on the tuesday night show (available online).

My opinion of some of my formerly closest friends degrades daily. I simply cannot see how anyone can look at this buffoon and conclude that he is a better choice than Obama. Better than Bush the dumber? Probably. Better than Grandpa Walnuts? Possibly. Better than Obama? Not in a million years.

I too have issues with Obama. Gitmo should be a memory. The ill-named Patriot Act should be burned. Homeland Security should at least be renamed to something less Nazi sounding. There should have been a public option in the Affordable Care Act. I have more bones to pick but you get the gist. Still, I conclude as do you that of the choices given, there really is no choice, it is Obama or the closest approximation to nothing we could "hope" for.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
check this Willard...was unemployed for 4 yrs plus...NOT ONCE did I apply for, nor did I consider the options I was "entitled" to by being a U.S. citizen w/ a long working history...dont have squat left except for my right to vote...piss off!! go Obama!