"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Saturday, September 15, 2012

Around the blogroll and elsewhere: Is it really less than two months till the election? edition
Posted by Jill | 6:44 AM
I'll be spending my weekend in front of a glowing screen going slowly insane again, so here's some tidbits to keep y'all busy.

I hadn't stopped over at Tom Degan's Rant lately, so I went over this morning, and found a lovely post on another September 11, this one fifty years ago this year, and how it changed the world in a very different way. And stay and visit there a while as long as you're in the neighborhood. It's one gem after another.

Erik Loomis at Lawyers, Guns and Money reminds us of why public school teachers are deserving of our support. And at this time of educational crisis, I'd like to thank in particular my eighth grade English teacher, Bertram Nussbaum, who taught me: a) never end a sentence with a preposition; b) never use "have to" in formal writing; and c) never use "get" (or its derivatives such as "got" or "gotten") in formal writing unless you are talking about a Jewish divorce. I'd also like to thank my ninth grade Ancient and Medieval History teacher, Frank Nolde, who instilled in me a lifelong fascination with the ancient world, Elisabeth Gromlich of 10th grade geometry fame, who presented me with ONE branch of math at which I was not a complete fuckup. And by the way, check out Charlie Pierce on this while you're at it.

Since a decade of Republicans flogging the deaths of almost 3000 people for political gain and fearmongering have left a sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing, I went to Driftglass for perspective, and even he has 9/11 fatigue, but he does, however, link to an earlier one, which is one of the best posts about it that has ever been posted.

The New York Crank has some advice for Willard. (And by the way, there's Gap, Starbucks, and Dunkin' Donuts in Cologne, Germany too. Why anyone would go to Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts in the kaffee-and-pastry capital of the world, I have no idea.)

And since someone will undoubtedly give me crap for not including any women bloggers this week, I suggest you go visit Tata, who has been canning up a storm. Ess ess, mein kind.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share