This past week, Walmart was the recipient of some unwelcome publicity in advance of Black
Thursday when an associate at the Canton, Ohio store sent a picture to
OUR Walmart. It was of a series of bins asking associates to donate food
items so their neediest workers can have a good Thanksgiving dinner.
This sparked national outrage and even brought ABC News
Ashton Kutcher and his 15,000,000+ Twitter followers into the fray,
sparking a flame war that lasted days. But the employee food drive to
keep Walmart associates from going hungry on a Thanksgiving they're
likely to have to work, anyway, is just the first sign that all is not
well at the world's largest private employer. What are they?
10) Covina, CA store set up empty gallon-sized pretzel jar for associates to chip in to Mexican Official Bribery Fund.
9) In Mesa, AZ, an extra .50¢ an hour combat
hazard pay offered for human countermeasure volunteers to stand at
entrances at the 6 PM Thanksgiving opening so management doesn't get
8) .25¢ an hour deducted from Irving, Texas
associates' wages to pay for Ted Nugent's appearance at next year's
annual shareholder's meeting.
7) Marlborough, MA Employee Motivational Program consisting of nothing more than sign at entrance that reads, "Work Will Set You Free!"
6) Anchorage, AK store Employee of the Month gets best parking
space for snow blower after being made to clear entire parking lot.
5) Issuing pamphlets at Ames, Iowa store entitled, "So, You'd Rather Have a Child and Lose Your Job?"
4) Hempstead, NY associates tricked on to bus ostensibly to take
them to store Xmas Party actually sent to work in NYC's sex trade for a
3) Striking employees threatened with transfer to its own Bangladeshi sweat shops.
2) Bismark, ND blood drive mobile stationed outside asking for
donations so Board members' grandchildren can use real blood on
1) Canton, OH Walmart employees paid so little, bins are getting donations from the Republic of Biafra and Ethiopia.