"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Monday, September 24, 2012

How Very French Of Us
Posted by Jill | 5:50 AM
Mr. Brilliant and I have an agreement. It's the kind of agreement couples usually don't make unless they are French politicians, but we have agreed to it. It might not be right for you, but it's right for us. The agreement is this: I don't say anything about his Age-Inappropriate TV Girlfriend and he doesn't say anything about my Age-Inappropriate TV Boyfriend.

If your husband has to have an Age-Inappropriate Girlfriend, a TV one is the best kind to have, because she's not likely to call your house and pretend you don't exist, or burn your child's bunnyrabbit. And she's only around for an hour or two a day, if that, because she has your own life. And if the TV Girlfriend is not just pretty but also smart, snarky, and on a compatible side of the political fence, it's kind of hard to object.

That MSNBC's Alex Wagner is five years younger than Linda Ellerbee, who was Mr. Brilliant's original TV girlfriend back in 1983 when we met, was at the time, is somewhat troubling. But being the tolerant person I am, I'm not going to sweat it, even though Wagner is age-inappropriate in the opposite direction of what Linda Ellerbee was when Mr. B. was twenty-eight. Because I kinda like Alex Wagner too (though in a very different way), and because it's clear that Wagner's crush on former Pandagon blogger and current WaPo Broderian Wonk Ezra Klein is strong and true*, and because for four hours on weekends, we both spend time with MY Age-Inappropriate TV Boyfriend, Chris Hayes.

Here's just an example of why:



*I like to tease Mr. B. about the judgment of any good progressive female who can't recognize Ezra Klein's creeping hacktacularness and resulting obvious lust for the roundtable of George Stephanopoulos' weekly Mouse Circus (™ Driftglass).

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger The New York Crank said...
I thought I was the only male having a TV affair. Mine is a longstanding one with (sigh!) Paula Zahn.

Okay, I'm busted!

Crankily yours,
The New York Crnak

Anonymous Kokuanani said...
I am so in love with Chris Hayes, and I'm almost old enough to be his mom.

Blogger Bob said...
excellent