"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, August 05, 2011

Eric Cantor shows that George Carlin was right.
Posted by Jill | 5:20 AM
I want you to bookmark this post, in which I once again note what George Carlin said back in 2005, barely three years before he decided he'd had enough of this Goddess-forsaken level of reality and checked out of this mortal coil. Bookmark it and watch it every single day for the rest of your life, just to make sure that you're not surprised when the social safety net is completely eliminated because we have to shovel more and more and more and more and more and more and more cash into the pockets of people who already have more than they can spend in 1000 lifetimes. At the very least, watch it every single fucking day until the 2012 eletion, just in case you're ever inclined to believe it again when Barack Obama says he's fighting for you, or Nancy Pelosi says NEXT time we'll draw a line in the sand. You can donate to Blue America candidates if you want, like I did yesterday because I wanted a shot at winning a Green Day-autographed Fender Stratocaster for Mr. Brilliant that he didn't even want because he has a Fernandes electric guitar that he insists is a nicer guitar than today's Strats, but that I figured we could sell and donate the proceeds to some worthy cause because while I adore my colleague whose 12-year-old loves Green Day, I'm not giving a 12-year-old a Stratocaster.

Anyway, if you're like me, you kept checking the bloodbath on Wall Street yesterday, wondering just how much less your retirement savings were going to be worth by the end of the day. I'm not going to say I've done everything right financially in my life. If I had back the money I spent on clothes I bought because they were on sale and never wore and eventually took over to the Caring About the Strays thrift shop I'd probably have at least a few thousand dollars to show for it. Seriously -- I've sold at least 36 pairs of leggings at garage sales for a buck a pair and still kept a few for working out. At one time I thought those were the only pants I'd ever be able to wear, so I bought them whenever they were ten bucks in the Newport News catalog. Then there's the small collection of antique cloche hats that I bought during my Roaring Twenties phase, and the Edwardian costume hats I bought during my Gilded Age phase, and all kinds of other assorted crap I didn't need. But while I didn't start putting any real money into 401(k) plans (yes, Gen-Xers, I came along too late for defined benefit pensions) until I was well into my thirties, I've been diligent ever since and lucky enough to work for employers for the last decade who also kicked in a fair amount. You see, I've always assumed that Social Secrity wouldn't be there for me, because Republicans have been making noise for the last thirty years that they want to get rid of it.

What I didn't bank on is that they also wanted us to get sick and die quickly once we reached a certain age. I know now that it was silly to think that way, especially since I knew that Republicans, blinded with greed as they are, HAVE no souls and HAVE no empathy with those who are poor, or elderly, or disabled. But would they be monsters enough to pull the rug out from the Federal health care system that provides medical care for those who could never possibly buy insurance on the open market, either because they are too sick already or because the actuarial tables don't favor them as profitable?

Well, now we know the answer. Yes they would. And that shandeh far di goyim Eric Cantor is leading the charge:



If you, like me, are over 55, do NOT take any comfort in Cantor's statement that you will be "indemnified" from being cast out on the street. The only thing that Cantor wants to "indemnify" is the Republican Party against a wholesale rejection by every single person in this country who is over 55. Because what Cantor is doing here is not just trying to shore up Republican support among the elderly and soon-to-be-elderly, but also to foment generational warfare. I mean, Gen X would line up all baby boomers against a wall and shoot us TODAY if they thought they could get away with it. What do you think is going to happen in the near-term future, as more Marco Rubios enter Congress, and the now-elderly boomers, having seen our retirement savings collapse and can't even vote anymore because we are now living on the streets, no longer have ANY political clout? If you're already on Social Security and Medicare today, they'll leave you alone because not even David Brooks would tolerate them yanking your benefits from you. But if you are NOT yet in the system, if you are age 61 or under, heed George Carlin's words: They're coming for your Social Security. If you are age 64 or under heed his larger point: they're coming for your Medicare. And the Democrats have proven with this debt ceiling cave-in that they will do absolutely nothing to stop them.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
4 Comments:
Blogger Ema Nymton said...
!

Anonymous A very tired AlphaHusky said...
Where *is* this horrible blog that implies gen-Xers want all Baby Boomers dead?

Geez already...

Point two- I warned ya. You took it as me being one of those legendary Hillary supporters, which torqued me no end. My point then is what it remains today:

Democrats. Are. Useless.

I can't in good conscience vote for them anymore, unless their last name is "Kucinich" or something and that's just because he's one of the very, very, very last true radicals around.

We discussed at length over the years the general uselessness of Democrats. It is *unethical* to vote for people who'll shiv you in the back and toss you to the repubs and Tea Whatever-The-Hell-They-Call-Themselves for dismemberment by hand.

My country is gone. My remaining votes for the rest of my life won't go to anyone in the aforementioned "parties" (more like a goddamn funeral), except in case of a true radical ever showing up-or finding the money to run.

-Snort- Yeah, like *that'll* ever happen.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Republican Eric Cantor talking about "truth in budgeting" and "getting the fiscal house in order????"

Why, that's like the Mexican drug cartels declaring that only they know how to win the "War on Drugs." Or like hookers being put in charge of an "Abstinence Only" campaign.

Seriously, the only real talent that smooth, smug little Yuppie weasel has is the ability to spout such bullshit without blushing.

Blogger Pangolin said...
This is simple looting. Enron on a national scale.

The pretense that this somehow results in a greater good doesn't survive simple fact checking or sixth grade math.

If these people retain any degree of control the U.S. and world economies are going into a power dive.