Iconic southern cuisine chef Paula Deen
has become the 21st century's Typhoid Mary for certain admissions that
she'd used the "n" word and having once planned a slavery-themed
wedding. This had prompted Miss Deen to plead her case to Matt Lauer
yesterday in which she accused others of telling lies about her by
citing her own words in a court deposition for a discrimination lawsuit
and being out to destroy her. Deen ended the interview by defiantly
saying, "I is what I is and I'm not changing." Since the admission, Deen
has been dropped by Novo Nordisk, Target, Home Depot
the Food Network, Wal-Mart and Smithfield. (The news isn't all bad, as
Fox News hastens to remind us: Deen's new cookbook, The New Testament
Cookbook, just shot up from #18 to #1
on Amazon, even though it's not due to come out until October.) Aspiring writer Anne Rice
also came to Deen's rescue, asking if we "had a lynch mob mentality."
Deen's admissions that "of course" she used the "n" word and the
slavery-themed wedding were bad enough but weren't the only ones in her
deposition, What are some other self-confessed examples of Paula Deen's
1) Martin Luther King piñata for oldest son's fifth birthday party.
2) Election nights 2008 and 2012, shot up life-sized butter sculpture of Barack Obama in back yard.
3) Field testing Creole rub on the heads of random African Americans.
4) During her "Bag Lady" days in Savannah, pioneered Happy Meals by
including with every bagged lunch slivers of Lester Maddox axe
5) During one 2005 episode of her show, once invited poet Maya Angelou but solely to wash dishes afterwards.
6) Once told Emeril Lagasse on Essence of Emeril, "I love it when you say Bam! Makes me think of Medgar Evers, Dr. King and Malcolm X."
7) Since 1974, every Thanksgiving turkey with little Klan hoods on drumsticks.
8) Paula taught sons that, every Halloween, black people carved watermelons instead of pumpkins.
9) Once asked by food magazine what wine would go best with soul food and replied, "Ripple."
10) Admitted to calling Dr. Martin Luther King a "shit-skinned,
tap-dancing, watermelon-munchin' jigaboo pickaninny Tar Baby" but only
once or twice since his assassination.