"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, June 30, 2013

Shorter Jim DeMint: Wimmenfolk don' know nuthin' 'bout birthin' babies
Posted by Jill | 2:32 PM
I don't know what goes on in the rural South, in the areas that were represented by Jim DeMint and by people who think Ralph Reed should be the moral arbiter for anyone. But as far back as when I was a volunteer at Planned Parenthood back in 1976-77 in Easton, Pennsylvania, even the woman who came to the clinic, found she was six month pregnant, and had no idea because she wasn't showing and had continued to menstruate, knew what pregnancy meant. Most women know that pregnancy is something that if carried to term, results in a baby.

For me, the most revolting part of the white Republican male attempt to control the reproductive systems of every woman in the country is this idea that women are so stupid that they don't know what pregnancy means. These men seem to think that unless women are forced to carry a pregnancy to term, or be vaginally raped by the state with a foreign object and forced to hear a heartbeat, they won't know that pregnancy results in a baby. Maybe they think women believe a pregnancy is some kind of tumor that gets kissed with fairy dust and becomes a baby; I just don't know. But all this talk about women wanting the OPPORTUNITY to get a forced vaginal ultrasound by the state is less about the idea that the state can take over a woman's uterus, and more about what these men think of America's women.

Rachel Maddow pointed this out to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed this morning on Press the Meat. I doubt she made them think at all, these men after all have no mind except the one that repeats over and over to them, "I HAVE A SMALL PENIS I HAVE A SMALL PENIS I HAVE A SMALL PENIS MUST OPPRESS WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL PENIS". But I just hope that women all across this country felt as patronized as I did watching this, and remember it in 2014, 2016, and beyond:



(h/t: Egberto Willies)

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share