"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The most reprehensible thing you will read about today
Posted by Jill | 6:04 AM
There are no words:
A soldier waterboarded his four-year-old daughter because she was unable to recite her alphabet.

Joshua Tabor admitted to police he had used the CIA torture technique because he was so angry.

As his daughter 'squirmed' to get away, Tabor said he submerged her face three or four times until the water was lapping around her forehead and jawline.

Tabor, 27, who had won custody of his daughter only four weeks earlier, admitted choosing the punishment because the girl was terrified of water.

[snip]

Tabor, a soldier at the Lewis-McChord base in Tacoma, Washington, was arrested after being seen walking around his neighbourhood wearing a Kevlar military helmet and threatening to break windows.

Police discovered the alleged waterboarding when they went to his home in the Tacoma suburb of Yelm and spoke to his girlfriend.

She told them about the alleged torture and the terrified girl was found hiding in a closet, with bruising on her back and scratch marks on her neck and throat.

Asked how she got the bruises, the girl is said to have replied: 'Daddy did it.'

During a police interview Tabor allegedly admitted grabbing his daughter, placing her on the kitchen counter and submerging her face into a bowl of water.

Sergeant Rob Carlson said the punishment was carried out because the girl would not recite the alphabet.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1249191/Soldier-father-accused-waterboarding-daughter-4-recite-alphabet.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0f2IduBED

When I first saw this headline at Alternet, it read like something from The Onion. But as you can see, it isn't. I don't know if this guy is an Iraq or Afghanistan veteran, but at some point we have to look at mental illness as it pertains to both an attraction to military service and as a result of military service.

(I wonder if this guy is an anti-abortion activist too.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I love kids. I have babysat for up to a month so parents could take a real vacation and just chill.

I deliberately never got married or had children after I came home from the Nam.
I knew just how fast I could react when startled. I ate gross amount of downers when babysitting, just conscious enough to react if one was in pain.

I babysat for one of my sister's kids so she and her husband could go to Hawaii.

I heard a sound in the kitchen where I was boiling up some potato soup for me and the kids.

Dashed in and grabbed the youngest who had pushed over a chair and was pulling the pan off of the stove. I jerked her back with one hand and reached for the pan with the other. Too slow. I still have scars on my left hand from that.

Yeah, I love kids but I don't dare ever have them. She was saved from being burned by my reaction time (incredibly fast) but the PTSD made me dangerous.

I weep for my country, my fellow vets and their children.,

Anonymous mandt said...
"we have to look at mental illness as it pertains to both an attraction to military service and as a result of military service." You, no doubt, are aware that there is a 'psychopathic' theory of governance.