"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, February 12, 2012

Random Silly Thought of the Day
Posted by Jill | 10:28 AM
While enduring a TV commercial for Swiffer this morning that featured a bad cover of "Good Vibrations", coming on the heels of that obviously early boomer asshole on the motorcycle shilling for United Healthcare, I thought that sometimes even I can't wait until my own generation dies off so people don't have to endure 1960's music in TV commercials anymore.

Bonus points: Not having to listen to 80's hits like "Take On Me" used to sell Swiffers....

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger backwater said...
Imagine my mortification. I was a few years ahead of you in occupying this planet, and, I dare say, in recognizing the nearly complete awfulness of what boomers became. I wonder how others have felt about their generations, since ours seems so like a perpetually skipping LP, or a sound corrupted file that repeats the same note or two over and over and over and over and over. I do wonder why so few of us seemed to see the current political situation coming.

Blogger Jill said...
Some of us did. Some of us have been trying our damnedest for the last 40 years to keep it from happening. We try to find a balance between the nation we want to live in and the necessity to earn a living. It's been damn frustrating, and even more frustrating to see the following generations paint us with the same broad brush. I don't know how much more we can do.

Blogger Jimbo said...
Yep, born in the '50s, Boomer. Eldest of 6 kids from Pittsburgh. What a stereotype. But the whole family has fought against the insanity of the post Reagan Era (okay, one sister dived into the pool and then regretted it). I was a Peace Corps Volunteer and then have spent my entire career in environmental management in those countries - still doing that. My only point is that there were a lot of self-centered assholes in my generation but there were/are a lot of people who are still working the front lines of progressive reform as well as small businesses serving America.

Screw the GOP. They stand for destruction, violence and hatred and not much more frankly.