"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, August 18, 2010

This is wonderful news...but can't we just call her "the host"?
Posted by Jill | 5:24 AM
I'm of course thrilled that Rachel Maddow will be the recipient of the Walter Cronkite Award...but why is her sexual orientation relevant to the amazing, smart, articulate, and most importantly, FACT-BASED reporting and commentary she does for us night after night?
The openly lesbian host of MSNBC’s "The Rachel Maddow Show" will receive the 2010 Walter Cronkite Faith & Freedom Award from the Interfaith Alliance in honor of her work covering religion and politics, The Huffington Post reported Tuesday, Aug. 17.

The award "recognizes individuals who courageously promote democratic values, defend religious freedom, and reinvigorate informed civic participation," according to an announcement from the Alliance. Cronkite served as Honorary Chairman of the organization until his death last year.

Maddow will receive the award at a gala dinner held in New York in October.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
4 Comments:
Anonymous tata said...
Journalism students are supposed to learn how to distinguish two things:

1. Facts;
2. *Relevant* facts.

From this article we learn our journalist cut class that week to hang out in Belmar.

Anonymous mandt said...
I'm sure that the openly straight Keith Olberman would agree!

Blogger Mattttt said...
I long for the day, hopefully not that far off, when one's sexual orientation, race, gender, religion, etc., are simply accepted as no big deal. I'd just like for people to treat each other like people, that's all. It would help ease some of the awful tensions in this world.

And excellent rundown of Maddow's skills, which are myriad and well-honed. I was a big fan of her guest spots on Countdown, and her incisive style of reporting, for a long time before she got her own show, and well before I heard about her being a lesbian [at which point I admit I was slightly let down, but hey, it's not like I ever had a chance with her or anything ;) ].

Blogger molly said...
This nation is so full of bigots it is ridiculous. Where are the grownups??