"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, July 02, 2010

OK, I'm begging.
Posted by Jill | 7:09 PM
Not for me. Thank Goddess, I'm lucky enough to still have a job. It aggravates the hell out of me sometimes, especially when I hear people snarking about my, shall we say, lax exercise habits (80-hour weeks will do that to you) at the lunch table when my cubicle in which I am sitting is only about ten feet away. But it is a job. And it pays well.

There are many bloggers out there who are not as fortunate. Those of us who still have souls in our bodies read the accounts of the hundreds of thousands of unemployed, with few prospects in front of them, and respond with a combination of empathy and fear. At least we still have the empathy. Much of the country is responding with fear, egged on by people like Sharron Angle, the Evil Bitch of Nevada, who's angling (sorry) for a government paycheck for herself while telling those who are looking for work to suck it up and join the Immokalee tomato pickers.

I try to kick in when I can. I'm kicking in to some tonight. I'm asking you: If you read this blog, go take a look at the blogs linked below, and consider donating. These are all casualties of the policies our government has implemented for the last thirty years. To the extent that you (and I) are not among them, well, it's only a matter of time.

Thank you.

Driftglass:




Jurassicpork:







Richard Blair has shut down his blog, All Spin Zone, but continues on Twitter. You can donate to him at allspinzone-at-yahoo-dot-com.

These are not the nameless unemployed. These are people I know from Blogtopia (™ Skippy, who presumably is still employed); people who have always worked hard and paid their taxes; people who worked to put Barack Obama into the White House and Democrats in Congress -- and find that nothing has changed. These are all ferociously smart people that our country is throwing in the garbage can and hopes we forget about them. I don't plan to. I hope you don't either.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
1 Comments:
Blogger driftglass said...
Jill,
Many, many thanks for the support and the your kind words.
They are both much appreciated