"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, November 28, 2008

Because Green Bean Casserole is nauseating: Middle Eastern Chopped Salad
Posted by Jill | 6:38 PM
I'm not sure this salad is Greek. To me, Greek salad is romaine, cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, dolmades, onion, black olives, and feta. This is more like Turkish coban salad -- no romaine. This means it will keep for about 3-4 days in the fridge -- if it lasts that long. But nothing says "Thanksgiving" quite like a

Take 2 nice cucumbers(unpeeled), a pint of grape tomatoes, a few stalks of celery, a bell pepper if you have one (I didn't), and a red onion:

chopped salad vegetables


Take out that good sharp knife that scares you to death. You know the one I mean -- the one you bought with the Bed Bath and Beyond coupon because you decided you needed a good chef's knife and then realized it was so sharp it was terrifying so you usually use your old dull one instead.

Cut the cucumber into 1/2" to 3/4" chunks.

Cut the larger grape tomatoes in half lengthwise.

Dice the onion fine.

Slice the celery on an angle.

Cut the bell pepper into strips.

Put all in a bowl and toss with some nice kalamata olives if you have them, or a small can of sliced California black olives, drained -- if that's all you have (or if you are trying to sneak them past someone who claims not to like olives). Chop up some parsley if you have it, or you can use dried parsley flakes that are still green.

Make a dressing of approximately (adjust to taste):

- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- enough sugar to take just the edge off the bite, about 1 tsp.
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste.

Mix well with whisk and pour over salad. Add an 8-oz. container of crumbled feta and serve:

Middle Eastern chopped salad


(Does anyone actually make that green bean casserole, anyway? Green beans, cream of mushroom soup and those ersatz "fried onions"? Yuck. Eat this salad instead.)

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger J said...
I love green beans, and I was wondering what the big deal about green bean casserole might be. I tried it, it's nasty.

Now green beans steamed, lovely. Steamed and then tossed with butter, gorgonzola, and walnuts? Divine.

When I was growing up and going to summer camp, we called that chopped salad and I always thought it was Israeli in origin because everyone I met who was from a kibbutz made it whenever it was their turn in the kitchen. (Yeah, it was that kind of camp...) In retrospect, I think your designation of "Middle Eastern" is the most accurate. It looks yummy. I was deathly afraid I'd end up having to eat green bean casserole this year but instead we got regular green beans with sauteed garlic and browned butter and It Was Heavenly!

Blogger Jennifer said...
That is a beautiful salad.
And put feta on anything and I'll eat it!