"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Monday, April 28, 2008

Open thread: What are you doing with your government hush money?
Posted by Jill | 6:17 AM
You know what I'm talking about; that "stimulus check" that the Administration is sending us in the hope that we'll STFU about the collapsing economy. I'm in the process of getting estimates for insulation so that heating oil doesn't break us next winter. What are YOU doing with yours?
Bookmark and Share
14 Comments:
Blogger Mark said...
It's going straight on the credit cards -- in other words, it's paying for things we've already bought. How this is supposed to stimulate the economy is beyond me. The credit card companies in particular are going to see a little bit less stimulation than they were expecting.

Blogger Comrade Misfit said...
Covering all the bases: A rifle, some cartridges and a donation to the ACLU.

:)

Blogger Distributorcap said...
i am not getting one.
else it would go to the mortgage.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Paying for my daughter's dance lessons that I haven't paid for all year. At the end of every month, there just wasn't money for the lessons, but her teacher didn't want her to quit. A scholarship would be nice......if that happened, then the money would pay off a Dell computer that I can't seem to get paid off. Oh, and some groceries. And gasoline. A little bit of gasoline.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
A new bed. Vishnu knows it probably won't help a nervous sleeper sleep better but I have to try.

Blogger kimba said...
Credit card. Whoopee!

Someone tell me how it makes sense that a couple with no children and a $115k a year income should get a $1200 "extra" tax return. It baffles.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Girls' "road" trip to LA. Shopping is patriotic. Right?

(And lest I sound completely shallow, this is a trip with my sisters and our wonderful, life-embracing mom, age 88 and never been to California. It's on her wish list.)

Blogger Midgetqueen said...
I'm not eligible for one. If I were, it'd be going straight to my student loans.

Blogger missy said...
1) Print a bunch of these stickers and drop off stacks of them all over Portland and Vancouver.

2) Help pay to upgrade our bathrooms to low-flow showers/low flush toilets and replace the fiberglass with tile.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Part of it will be saved, part of it will be given to a good friend who was unemployed for most of the year. This friend didn't even make enough to owe taxes and isn't going to get a check.

Blogger Dave in ME said...
Paying down the HELOC.

Blogger Melina said...
Credit card...tho I have been thinking of getting a .22 rifle to protect the chickens and dogs...a coyote just grabbed a little dog a week or so ago...
I also may have to hunt for food if they keep rationing at costco!
Girl can't live on eggs alone!

Canned food and ammo.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
In to the bank. Pay the bills. Take your choice which one -- gasoline, electric, credit cards, mortgage, ...

But for those of you planning to pay off the credit card, unless you have or do tear them up, you'll only spend it later. Give the economy a double whammy! Pay off what you've already bought and then defer buying more!!