"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, June 22, 2010

These are the people the Republicans want us to think can't ever possibly be us
Posted by Jill | 9:05 PM
A comment at the AFL-CIO Now Blog:
I am one of those long term unemployed. I have been out of work since I was laid off in November 2008. I have filled out hundreds of applications and sent hundreds of resumes everywhere. Still no job not even an interview since August of 2009. My husband was unemployed for a year from April 2009-April 2010. So we were both out of work and suffering. Luckily he found a job. But it pays less than his previous job of 27 years and it also has no benefits. So we have less.
I am 53 years old and worked at my last job for 11 years only to be laid off. I want to work, I need to work. Unemployment is a help but it is less than 1/2 of what I made working. These Republicans and some “Republicrats” who think that we want to sit on our butts are full of it. I have a mortgage, car payments, credit card debt, utility bills and I have to eat and wear clothes. You can not do this on UI benefits. But without them I will lose everything I have worked my whole life to EARN!
I urge everyone in the country to vote and vote out all those in office who vote to deny us laid off workers help in these trying times. Let them learn to live on UI benefits. It is time Americans learn that those people we put in office are living on government welfare paid to elected officials. It is our money that pays them to not help us. It is our money that we should take away from them. Let them feel the pain and anguish of being unemployed.
I cry everyday because I haven’t a meaningful job. I also have great fear for my future. This is not the USA I was taught about in school as a child that is for sure.
Republicans are cruel and heartless people. Shame on them. How can they go to church or synagogue with a clear conscience. I am appalled by their heartlessness.

So am I. Especially this guy, and the mean-spirited morons who support him:
Utah voters have reacted enthusiastically to Sen. Orrin Hatch's legislation to drug test the unemployed and those receiving other forms of government cash assistance, the Utah Republican told the Huffington Post after introducing his measure last week.

"A lot of people are saying, 'Hey, it's about time. Why do we keep giving money to people who are going to go use it on drugs instead of their families?'" Hatch said.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger PurpleGirl said...
Unfortunately those politicians who are voted out of office don't stay "unemployed" for long. They have friends in high places, like law firms, who find them paying gigs relatively quickly.

Anonymous Charlie O said...
They'll be going after social security recipients next. If grandma is toking up, she'll be out the street.

Blogger jurassicpork said...
Testify, sistah! I'm getting my benefits cut off this month and it doesn't look like Congress is coming to the rescue, if the GOP has its way.

But it's also true that more and more Democrats are coming around to that line of thinking, that we like living on less than half what we made at our last jobs, as poverty is some kind of extreme sport.

And any asshole who thinks we like to live on half of our former gross pay and that that makes us lazy enough to not look for work deserves to be taken to the woodshed, locked in and burned alive.