"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dear Big Business: Twitter Will Bury You
Posted by Jill | 7:21 AM
Last week I attended a conference on how to use social media effectively in the industry in which I work. It was actually sort of fun -- a throwback to the kind of webby-stuff I used to do, even though I kept having this nagging sense that what it was about was teaching corporations how to astroturf more effectively. But most of the attendees were either people like me, who had little to do with PR, or agencies that do PR for large corporations. Very few PR people from actual industry were there.

Which is how stuff like the Twitter feed BPGlobalPR happens.

This feed is so much in the public consciousness that in this room full of corporatist shills, this was the poster child for how Twitter can bite you if you don't snag every possible name that could represent your company.

BP: Poster child at business conferences for how NOT to do messaging.

I expect there to be a BP Public Relations book contract any minute, followed by a TV series starring William Shatner...whom I suspect will be available, since Shit My Dad Says looks like it's going to be a train wreck.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share