"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, February 01, 2009

If you go, you know
Posted by Jill | 12:00 PM
Yes, that's the slogan for Jamaica tourism, but the same could be said about Trader Joe's:




This funny song alludes to "things they don't have anymore." This is perhaps my one beef with Trader Joe's -- that for someone like me, who tends to buy 100 of everything because I know for certain that the minute I like something, they'll stop making it, this habit they have of discontinuing items can be nerve-wracking. I recently had such a scare with the Thai rice stick noodles, but fortunately it was just a question of my store being out. But the canned garbanzos in curry sauce are, alas, history forever.

As time goes on, I find myself buying more at Trader Joe's and less elsewhere. Whether it's organic milk and eggs, Greek yogurt, that lowfat chocolate yogurt that's stir-from-the-bottom and isn't quite chocolate pudding but is yummy in its own right, those one-at-a-time bananas, bread, and frozen vegetables, in addition to the more exotic stuff, Trader Joe's is gradually encroaching into my supermarket runs to the point that Shop-Rite only sees me every two weeks or so instead of every week, and the local overpriced A&P is pretty much just a 7-11 these days.

But if they ever discontinue those little disks of frozen mashed potatoes that microwave up into better mashed than you can make at home, then you'll see real hue and cry and rending of garments.

(h/t Hoffmania)

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
I hate it how here in NJ we TJ shoppers are deprived of the two-dollar wine.

Blogger Connecticut Man1 said...
We don't have the two-buck-chuck. But I love their coffee! Some of the best I have ever had.

Blogger Unknown said...
One very big reason I go to TJs is that I don't have to look at the labels -- none of their packaged products have MSG or other nasty stuff. The taste can be a little bland as a result, but that's why God invented hot sauce.