"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It's all here
Posted by Jill | 5:02 AM
If you want to read exactly what we've been subjected to for the last eight years, and just how utterly lawless the Bush Administration has been, it's all here, in living, lurid black and white. (Note: This is a very long PDF file and may take a while to download.)

For all that I was as outraged as anyone when Barack Obama made the incomprehensible and ridiculous statement on Sunday that no one is above the law and yet we should look forward, I would hope that after reading this report (assuming he does), he would change his mind -- after the inauguration, that is, after there's no longer the possibility of George W. Bush issuing a blanket pardon to his entire administration.

But there are those who believe that you just don't move forward and forget about it when crimes of the magnitude of those committed by the Bush Administration are staring you right in the face. And the amusingly-named Senator Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island is one of them:
"I think that there's a lot that remains to look at, and I appreciate that President Obama doesn't want to make it his purpose as a new president, with America in real distress in many directions, to go back and look at all this, but I think we in Congress have an independent responsibility, and I fully intend to discharge that responsibility,"


If you or I robbed a bank and then claimed it was to protect our families from eviction or foreclosure, or to get the money for medical care for our child because we have no insurance, we would not escape prosecution by claiming "family security", nor would we be able to stand before a judge and say "That's all in the past, I think it's more important to look toward the future." The Bush Administration shouldn't be able to either.

(h/t: ThinkProgress)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger Lisa said...
No kidding. I'm glad someONE in Congress understands their work. Yeesh.

BTW, I read you every day - don't always have something to add but wanted you to know we're out here!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I think the incoming administration is just saying they aren't planning to prosecute but is reserving the right to change their minds. If they stir up the gravel now, there will be a flurry of immunity granted, and nothing can get done.

Either that or they're a bunch of [deleted]. I hope its the former.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
He's going to pardon anyway! Else he's a bigger fool than we've thought him before...
If there's even the remote possibility of prosecution.....