"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Monday, October 20, 2008

Yard Sale Finds
Posted by Jill | 4:41 AM
As a rule, I try to avoid garage and yard sales. Having had one myself earlier this year to get rid of some of the effluvia that had accumulated in this house, I'm loath to restock by buying up other people's crap.

But as I turned the corner on Saturday near my house, navigating a multi-family yard sale on three of four corners of an intersection, I saw something that made me turn the corner and park the car.

I didn't even haggle because the price was great.

And now, the hosta-rimmed shady area by the side of my house where two hemlocks died from a fungal infection eight years ago and a K-Mart rhododendron finally gave up the ghost after five years of struggling earlier this year, where nothing seems to want to grow except the tiger lilies I rescued from a neighbor's purge last year and the relentless English ivy that permeates the yard, is occupied by this:



I feel calmer already.
Bookmark and Share
9 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
That's fantastic. I'm overjoyed about your garden.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! Very good. Yes, it was worth stopping for.

PurpleGirl

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Very nice.

Blogger Lisa said...
Yeah, good call on picking that up. Maybe now things will grow in the shade of the peacefulness!

Blogger CJS said...
Nice one, Jill. I'm with you fellers: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_95xjTF2CWqI/SNxKqmaBGWI/AAAAAAAABKk/CQW0VySObiU/s1600-h/IMG_4083.jpg

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What a great find. You can't beat hardscaping for those tough spots.

Blogger Melina said...
Does that mean that you're now a...a...muslim terrorist? I mean, come on...thats gotta be some sorta shrine to muhhamed...right?

luv, your favorite troll....;-)

Blogger Bob said...
You can try growing a banyan fig tree there now.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
The Buddha Rocks!! Be sure to announce your garage sale at a free online garage sale.

Good Luck!