"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Saturday, October 11, 2008

Off the Rails With the Hate Talk Express.... What the Wingnuts Have Wrought.
Posted by Melina | 11:04 AM

Yelling fire in a movie theater, stirring up the crowd with a frenzied, fundamentalist, fervor meant to incite fear, in the best case, and violence in the worst. This sort of snake oil has been for sale from this traveling circus for years, building strength like a hurricane spun out of control with the inevitable little tornadoes popping up here and there.
Now begins the frantic backpedaling by a befuddled McCain and, Ive got to say, that what is glaringly clear now is that McCain's supporters, who represent a huge part of America, are either tremendously uneducated, or just terrified and propagandized to the point where the train has left the tracks and not even granddaddyMcInsane, with his lurching shoulders and his mouse in the headlights stare, can redirect it.

Trying to reposition yourself, grandpa? Well, its too fucking late.
The villagers have their torches and pitchforks and they are riding the Hate Talk Express straight to hell. I hope that O'Reilly, Hannity, Scarborough, and all the other media pundits that have thrown fuel on this fire for years are happy too. As much as they try to disengage with this thing, and enjoy the money that its earned them, they are going down in history as a major linchpin of this thing, no matter what they say or do. As I said, its too fucking late!

I learned something this week, and it came from the lips of an avid Fox News watcher who engaged me in a gun store, of all places, as I purchased a .22 rifle. First of all, Obama has a big secret about Nigeria and some election there that he manipulated by helping the campaign of a family member by giving advice...hmmm...and this is coming outsooooooon ....like last week in some nutcase book....? I also learned that liberals like me are not allowed to buy guns; that its unusual for any bleeding heart liberal to own a gun! That Obama is anti-gun in general....and that ITS NOT OVER until they get all the Obama/Osama secrets out there!
I learned all of this in the exact words and phrases of Hannity, and O'Reilly coming from the lips of this older man with a beer gut.

My answer to this guy was that I'm a liberal and I'm a patriot. I love the country and the constitution...and that the neocons have done more to hurt the constitution than the likes of me ever could. The guy said that he was unaware that a liberal could be like this; supposedly we were all anti-gun! I told him to stop watching so muchHannity and O'Reilly. I left out Limbaugh, but I imagine that's on his dial as well. Do people want to appear ignorant?

Well, the tip off of membership in that lazy Fox News club is the arrogance and lack of knowledge of the other side. Its a tone of voice and a phrasing that comes directly from the talking points ( messages that the speaker often doesn't fully realize they are delivering,)....and the seeming inability to interact properly in public without an undercurrent of seething anger. Like the priesthood and other authoritarian organizations, this movement seems to attract a certain outcast or disgruntled fringe, and somehow the presentation of that picks upalot of lazy supporters who would prefer to be just told what to think rather than to go and figure it out for themselves.

Its going to be hard to shake hands and make up at the end of this thing. The damage done is not something that can be blithely dismissed because its ongoing and will continue for years to come. So, as thewingnuts, led by grandpa McInsane himself, try to backpedal the level on this thing, I think it would behoove us all to keep strongly in mind what they've done. The next step in this is going to be to say something to the effect of "that was in the past and now we have to move forward," which is how they get us to forget so they can start planning for four and eight years from now. See, we're bad if we cling to old resentments, but its those old resentments that maybe might protect us from making the same fucking mistakes over and over again. When do we get smart about this? Or are we always looking for the good daddy underneath the seething contempt? Personally, I give up.

h/t Skippy!

c/p RIPCoco


Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
6 Comments:
Blogger Mauigirl said...
Too little too late...I feel sorry for McCain in some ways. I think he let himself be convinced by the radical right wingers he got to run his campaign in early July that this was the only way he was going to win. It would be a lot closer now than it is if he had followed what I believe are his real instincts and run a respectful campaign instead of allowing Palin to stir up this hatred and race-baiting - and let's face it, talking about "What do we really know about Barack Obama?" himself. And of course, the hateful ads he permitted to be shown with him saying at the end "I approved this message." I think he will look back on this campaign with regret in his old age, if we are lucky enough that the GOP doesn't manage to steal this election as they did the last one. If he gets in, then, I don't know what he'll be thinking but he won't have a good feeling about himself, either way.

Blogger Mauigirl said...
Oops, I forgot. He's already in his old age.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Even more dangerous:

Has the McCain/Palin campaign considered the likelihood of what might happen if one of their rallies suddenly deteriorates into disorder and violence, with casualties ensuing and hospital emergency rooms working overtime?

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Unfuckingbelievable... Just unbelievable.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I saw Palin autographing a sign that said "Sarah Palin 2012."

I think they're getting ready to move on.

Blogger prin said...
Jill, I know the feeling, believe me I do. The weariness, the overwhelming futility. You try and you try and you talk until you are blue in the face only to be faced with that crap over and over again. But we cannot, we must not give up. i went to a walmart today, i know, shoot me. i have never felt so out of place. it was pure culture shock. i live inner city wherever i live and always have. to venture out into the suburbs truly frightens me. when i came out i realized i had my obama/biden and my "Read my lipstick, i'm voting democrat stickers on my car and honestly I checked all my tires before i got in to make sure they hadn't been flattened by one filled with this hate that mccain and palin are spreading. what in the hell have we been striving for for the past 40 years? i plan to keep working for reason and respect and understanding until the day i die. hopefully i will see it before then.