"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, October 10, 2008

Sometimes I think this country is one giant cosmic joke
Posted by Jill | 7:46 PM
You know, I've had a cold all week. I'm two weeks into a new job that's only tangentially like my old job, I have a mountainous learning curve, and I've been firing on only two cylinders all week. Add a drive every morning on New Jersey's lovely traffic-choked highways, and I'm about ready for a weekend. Tonight I got my IRA statement AND my SRA account statement from my last job, and as I wrote earlier, I'll be working until they put my dead corpse into an oven and turn it into ashes.

When the one thing that makes you grin is when people win the double-or-nothing video bonus question on Cash Cab, you know things are at a sorry pass indeed.

I shouldn't complain. I do have a job, which is something akin to a miracle these days. I work with nice, helpful people, I have a supervisor who doesn't seem to automatically assume I'm an idiot or a chronic fuckup, and I'm sure once I get the hang of things I'll be fine. It's just harder being new when you get older. So all things considered, my life is relatively good at the moment. So I really shouldn't get upset when I hear from Brad Friedman that in an upstate New York county, absentee ballots are featuring an option to vote for "Barack Osama", I just want to put my head in the oven.

You think I'm joking?

Here you go:



And here's the source.

I'm starting to feel like Margaret Tyzack as Claudius' mother Antonia in I, Claudius, when she explains her decision to kill herself by saying, "I was born into a world of people and now I live in a pack of mad dogs." No, I'm not suicidal, but living in the same country with lunatics like McCain/Palin supporters makes me think that before it's all over, the living will envy the dead. I mean, look at the kind of morons with whom we have to share this country:


Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
4 Comments:
Blogger Jaye Ramsey Sutter said...
yeah, and we get the punch line up our asses. Goddamn is all I can say.

Blogger D. said...
Libertarians wonder why I laugh when they claim to want a level playing field.

Margaret Tyzack, by the way, is still alive and still acting--she just did The Chalk Garden in London.

Blogger Taradharma said...
this exchange was sickening.

McCain rallys are going to the lowest common denominator dawgs now. Sure, now, he speaks of 'respecting' his opponent, and his own supporters boo him.

He's whipped em up and now he can't get them to shut up.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
There really should be a law againt lying about your political opposition,as well as labelling yourself"news". We're seeing what happens now when lies aren't allowed to be debunked.