"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, September 17, 2008

OK, all you Gadget Geeks out there, what's it to be then, eh?
Posted by Jill | 1:40 PM
Blackberry Curve or Palm Centro?

Discuss.

I'll be starting a new job (!!!) on the 29th of this month. Yes, fat old Jill managed to find another job before even getting her six weeks of accumulated vacation pay. I'll be working in a place that monitors internet access, so I need a small device with internet connectivity of its own (that is, no glomming onto company wifi, which is still monitored) to catch up with news and perhaps write a blog entry or two when I'm on my own time, such as during lunch. With Verizon's "New Every Two" I can get either of these devices for 49 bucks.

I like the Palm interface and utilities, but the keys on the Centro are kind of cramped. But I'm open to either one.

I know you all have opinions. Post your opinions on these gadgets in the comments.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
9 Comments:
Blogger D. said...
Mazel tov!

(The one that doesn't cramp your fingers, of course!)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I really like the Palm interface and know lots of happy Treo and Centro owners. I also know lots of Crackberry addicts. But I'm surprised that you would even CONSIDER buying something invented by John McCain!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm partial to the Palm despite its microkeys, but that's because I have a batchload of Palm OS applications (like my Scrabble and backgammon games, and NYC and other cities' public transit maps).

Of course, if the Treo 680 or 800p came with a halfway decent camera, I'd recommend it like a shot.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Congrats!

Blogger Charles D said...
I looked at both and went with the Curve. My fat old fingers have enough trouble with the B-berry and would never be able to use the Centro.

I'm thinking John McCain made a lot less of a contribution to the Blackberry than Al Gore made to the internet, especially since McCain doesn't know how to use email so what would he want with a Blackberry?

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I hate to rain on this parade, but if your REAL interest is in something to read the Web and write your blog, forget both and get one of the little USB Internet plug-ins for your laptop. I've got the USB -150 but they've replaced that with the -175. The -727 will also work, and is cheaper. I got mine _free_ via rebate. Check at the Verizon store.
This solution will let you use your regular laptop. Much better keyboard for serious typing, and a _real_ browser. Plus, you CAN get your email. If you're going to be carrying your laptop anyway... [I used to leave my laptop sitting quietly on the corner of my desk all day "connected" to the Inet via USB adapter. It would get private email and I could surf outside the corporate firewall; the BB got corporate messages. You might not have that option. I was a contractor and could kinda get away with having my own computer in the office isolated from their net.]

Anyway, I've used a Blackberry [company provided]. It's great for EMAIL, but
1) - my fingers are much too big for the keyboard, and I never got the "feel" for using my thumbs so much
2) - my eyes aren't up to long term reading of the screen, and even email text got tough. And in the sun... forget it!
3) - it has a minimalist browser. Not what I'd want if I were reading newssites and blogs.
I suspect much the same for the Palm.
However, if you want to play games and download user software packages, the Palm is a much better choice.
If you do go BB or Palm, GET THE BLOODY BLUETOOTH EARPIECE. Both are lousy phones and there is no way you can read the screen with the thing to your head.

The biggest problem with my solution is that you will have to buy a standalone internet plan -- about $40 or $60/month depending on your usage volume..... You can't use your voice minutes to send data nor your data access to talk...

PS: My solution still doesn't prevent your getting one of the "toys" if you want.. You can't ever be "too" connected.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Congratulations on the new job!

Blogger Citizen Carrie said...
Congratulations, Jill!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I just got a Palm Centro, mainly because I've been using Palm products for eight years. I'm very satisfied with it, with one exception: Synchronizing the desktop with the Centro occasionally causes my computer to restart -- doesn't even go through the BSOD first. The desktop program itself never crashes, nor does the Centro by itself. Just when syncing. I never had this kind of problem with previous Palm software.

I think the problem is with Documents to Go, but I can't be sure. So, before synchronizing, I back up everything, which means an extra ten minutes for the export, plus variable time to reload any lost data if a crash occurs. Not good.