"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What's the going rate for destroying a company these days?
Posted by Jill | 6:11 AM
The conventional wisdom on corporate boards of directors is that top executives receive such high compensation packages because the competition for them is so fierce.

For a year in the late 1970s, I was a department manager in the women's accessories department at Bambergers, a Newark-based department store owned by Macy's. Those of you who live or lived in New Jersey may remember the people walking around with the fake white chrysanthemum pins -- that was me. The hot "gift item" that year, as it had been the year before, was Dearfoam bootie slippers. The year before, under another manager, my store had been the #1 store in Dearfoam bootie slippers, and I was expected to exceed those numbers. I had an outpost right next to the main door of the store, but only one. My stockroom was in the basement at the opposite end of the store, and the boxes of these things were stacked from the ceiling. I was expected, with almost no extra holiday staffing, to keep this outpost stocked enough with all sizes so that I could beat the prior year's numbers. I failed to do so, and shortly after the January inventory, I was fired. It was the only time in my life that I was ever fired for performance. To this day, I don't know if anyone else could have kept that damned outpost full of ugly bootie slippers. How much difference my failure to "beat the numbers" on five-dollar slippers made to the company's profits that year I have no idea. But the store went on, as did the entire chain, adopting the Macy's name in 1986. Most of the Bamberger's stores live on today as Macy's stores.

Most of the work I've done since then has been difficult to quantify in terms of dollars. I went on to the obligatory secretarial/administrative jobs after my "glamorous retail career" flamed out, and by pure luck ended up in IT. The IT jobs can be quanitified in terms of project completion, but it's difficult to put a dollar figure on what a static/news/information web site, or an intranet, or case report form screens for a contract that's already in, contributes to the health of the organization.

Top executives, like little 25-year-old me running around Bambergers with my flower pin, are supposedly accountable for the bottom line. But you'd never know it from looking at executive compensation in this country. I've written before about these pay packages and the golden parachutes given to ousted executives when they fail, usually spectacularly. But since I, like all of you, are now an owner of AIG, I thought it might be useful to take a look at what AIG has paid its CEO.

The company's current CEO, Robert Willumstad, has held the post only since June after a tenure at Citigroup (another troubled company), so it's difficult to blame him for the mess. But not unlike John McCain, who thinks that the answer to Wall Street's problems is to convene a commission to study them. Willumstad found himself caught short well in advance of his planned September 25 announcement of his plan to restore AIG's financial health. Details of Willumstad's severance package are not yet available, but he's...
...eligible for AIG's executive severance plan, which provided benefits based on salary and bonus levels, and continued vesting of some incentive awards and benefits.


I wouldn't sit up nights worrying about the future of Robert Willumstad. When he stepped down from the position of Chief Operating Officer at Citigroup, his severance package consisted of...
...incentive compensation for the first months of 2005, based on the company's full-year performance. Citigroup also will accelerate the vesting of shares worth about $6 million - 40 percent of a $15 million restricted stock retention award the company gave him in July 2003. He also will receive a car, driver and secretarial services through August 2006, unless he takes a new job before then, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.


That's not a bad package for quitting a job voluntarily. Willumstad joined AIG in January 2006 when he was elected to the Board of Directors and became Board Chairman in November of that year. He assumed the CEO role when former CEO Martin Sullivan was ousted.

Sullivan received a $47 million severance package as reward for bringing AIG -- and the world financial markets -- to the brink of collapse, after receiving compensation worth $22.5 million in 2006 and a paltry $13.3 million in 2007 as the company started to unravel.

This is not a bad haul for being an utter failure. Most workers get fired long before their performance blows so spectacularly, and if we're lucky, we get too weeks' pay as severance.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
1 Comments:
Blogger Bob said...
When I've worked in retail, I've felt sorry for dept managers. They were mostly young, looked anxious, were underpaid, & if they wanted to go "up" I couldn't figure out where "up" was. Some of them had fantasies of being "buyers." Meaning, I supposed, they imagined a life of trade or fashion shows, meeting with product reps. But I viewed the career possibilities laterally; you could go from the luggage dept at Sterns to manager trainee at Bennigan's.