"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, August 06, 2008

John Turturro, call your agent
Posted by Jill | 8:10 AM
...'cause here's a role you were born to play:





I especially like this quote:

That's how it SHOULD start! This ia a free country!


Obama handled this guy perfectly...and so did the rest of the audience. Compare it to how John McCain's campaign handles people they don't like.

But note how flummoxed the guy is that he got his way, the audience pledged allegiance to the flag, and yet he's still angry.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with saying the pledge during an event concerning the nation- the campaign for president. I know a lot of people have issues with saying it, but I don't think it was inappropriate to do. The guy's timing was bad, but I don't see what was so wrong with what he did.

I certainly don't think it was okay to badger the guy about his name. He made no threats to anyone. Asking for names or who he worked with was, imo, out of line.

I also don't see how McCain was responsible for the reporter being kicked out, though that was reprehensible.

Okay, go ahead everyone...

PS- I'm absolutely, 100% opposed to McCain in every possible way. I'm just sayin'....

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It's not a matter of saying the pledge of allegiance (though I have some problems with pledging allegiance to a piece of fabric, frankly -- I'd prefer to pledge allegiance to the Constitution). It's a matter of this guy's coming into the meeting, with a press pass (which is undoubtedly how he got to the position where he could be heard and seen that way), and yelling out that the meeting should be handled the way he thought appropriate.

It was pretty clear to me that the guy was trying to start something, to "prove" that Obama wasn't patriotic, or that he wouldn't salute the flag the "right" way, or some other stupid meme like that.

And given that he was there with a press pass, it didn't seem too inappropriate to me to ask him his name, and his refusal to give it or even to give the name of the organization for which he was working, was pretty suspicious. I didn't think he was being "harassed," though evidently he thought so.

Blogger Tuli said...
I'm thinking Bill Murray!