"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Saturday, February 09, 2008

And here I thought Shuster was smarter than this
Posted by Jill | 8:45 PM
Amidst all my attempts to insist that there are no generational differences between me and my younger progressive sisters, I'm often made aware that there are. I don't refer to the time in college when I was held down on a bed in a guy's room and told that either I have sex with him or my clothes will be forcibly removed and tossed out the window as rape, largely because I don't think about it at all. I'm not convinced (though I don't judge anyone whose mileage differs) that calling it "my rape" would have been constructive to my mental health over the long term.

I've lived through enough retrogressive social history where women are concerned, and seen how enough of what's known as feminism has been about language rather than real change to have lost patience with it. My thought tends to be that we have more important things to worry about than whether we want to spell "woman" with a "y" so it doesn't have the word "man" in it or any of the other fodder for misogynistic standup comics that feminism has come up with over the years. My brand of feminism has been about things like creating a society in which a woman who chooses not to marry isn't a pariah, or a woman who is gay doesn't feel she has to hide herself behind marriage, or giving women access to the same jobs as men, or not tossing women out of the workplace at 40 because young men no longer want to fuck them.

I'm not judging younger feminists who think differently. As I said above, I was a child in an era when my mother was a neighborhood pariah for working outside the home and when the books they gave you that explained menstruation to you still warned of the dire consequences of sitting in cars and "petting" (which at age ten I didn't understand, because to me petting was what you did to the dog and I couldn't imagine what that had to do with boys), and using Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh as examples of love in the movies.

Sure, I was angered by the comedy stylings of Andrew Dice Clay, and while I may laugh uproariously at Family Guy, the way the character of Meg is treated sometimes makes me so angry I can hardly watch the show. And of course I'm the founder of Sweet Jesus I Hate Chris Matthews, because even I can recognize a pattern of misogyny when I see it.

I wasn't watching when David Schuster talked about Chelsea Clinton being "pimped out" into a more active role in the campaign. I agree that using the expression "pimped out", as if the Clintons had Chelsea out turning tricks for votes, was a pretty offensive choice of words. But I have to wonder, given the fact that a) Don Imus was playing a song called "Pimp-slap the Ho'" for years before his suspension for calling the Rutgers women's basketball team "nappy headed ho's"; b) a song called "It's Hard out there for a Pimp" won a fucking OSCAR®, for God's sake; and c) MSNBC has been a frat boys' club for years before Tweety finally went over the edge and said that the only reason Hillary was a Senator was because her husband cheated on her; why the sudden hue and cry over this one remark?

I'm not defending what David Shuster said. Using the metaphors of prostitution to describe any woman who is not an actual prostitute ought to be verboten in polite company. And I would hope that this incident gets the suits at MSNBC, as well as the guys in front of the camera thinking about the way they talk about women. And no, Keith Olbermann isn't exempt either, because he too has gotten on the Bash Hillary bandwagon, not to mention the fact of his gleeful snark about troubled young women like Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and the late Anna Nicole Smith. And yet, the "Keeping Tabs" segment has been running with nary a peep out of feminists for a long time. Do those women somehow "deserve it", because they put themselves in the limelight? Is that why there has been no protests about that? And if so, how does that differ from saying that a woman walking down a dark street in a miniskirt was "asking" to be raped?

I'm just askin', is all.

I wrote the other day about how ridiculous it sounded when a caller to Randi Rhodes indicated that sexism is more pervasive than racism. When you look at Media Matters' rundown of appallingly misogynistic remarks coming from the Boys of MSNBC over the last few years, the only thing that's surprising is that it hasn't come to a head until now. And yet given that Chris Matthews, a much higher-profile talking head than Shuster, was able to get away with a simple apology (and having both Joe Scarborough and Shuster stick up for him on Morning Joe the next day), I'm getting a sense that David Shuster is simply the "waferr-theen meent" that causes the male privilege Mr. Creosote that is MSNBC to explode.

I watched last night's Real Time With Bill Maher today, and with the Shuster episode still raw, P.J. O'Rourke's remark about Hillary Clinton's posterior seems similarly gratuitously cruel. Perhaps we've just become accustomed to men making appallingly nasty cracks about Hillary because they've been doing it virtually nonstop for the last sixteen years. Or perhaps it has more meaning when it comes from what's supposed to be news programming, for all that news has become more like Entertainment Tonight than the kind of programming Edward R. Murrow once delivered.

Keith Olbermann, for all that he faux-humbly denies that he's in Murrow's league, clearly sees the chain-smoking anchor of the 1950's as his role model. Somehow, despite the rampant sexism of the 1950's, I just can't see Murrow ever descending into the kind of locker room stuff coming from the mouths of the MSNBC boys.

The irony is that there IS a legitimate point to be made that it's disingenuous to have Chelsea Clinton be a public face of her mother's campaign and then say she's off-limits to the press. The problem is not with having candidates' adult children out on the campaign trail, it's about having them out there but somehow in need of protection. Chelsea had to endure being called the family dog by Rush Limbaugh when she was just thirteen years old, and this year's likely Republican nominee, John McCain, said in 1998 that the reason she's so ugly (which she isn't, and wasn't then either) is because Janet Reno is her father. So it's understandable that the Clintons want to protect her from the likes of Limbaugh and McCain and Matthews, and alas, now even David Shuster, whom we thought knew better. But when Cate Edwards and the Romney boys have been out there campaigning and WERE accessible to the press, the Clintons do seem to be operating with a double standard. And that's what should have been the story. But by using the language of whoredom to describe the situation, Shuster blew his chance to make a legitimate political point.

Perhaps the suits at MSNBC believe that now that they have a lesbian progressive appearing occasionally in the person of Rachel Maddow, they no longer have to worry about what their male anchors and correspondents say. However, I don't think that when Maddow signed on to be an analyst for MSNBC, being Keith's and Chris' and David's and Tucky's beard was exactly what she had in mind. If Rachel Maddow had something to do with the line now being drawn in the sand, that's all to the good. But suspending Shuster and having Keith Olbermann apologize for him does no good if the behavior continues -- as it seems to be continuing with Matthews.

It seems to me that perhaps all of the MSNBC anchors need to get some psychotherapy and find out just what it is about women that makes them so frightened, and particularly what it is about Hillary Clinton. God knows there's plenty of reasons not to vote for her, but her looks, her legs, her cleavage, and whether or not Matthews or Shuster or Scarborough want to fuck her daughter ought not to come into play.

And while we're doing some soul-searching on this, why don't we lay off the Britney suicide watch as well? In fact, let's keep Michael Musto and his snark about these troubled young woman away as well. Because if we're going to start treating women like human beings in the media, let's extend it even to those disturbed young women being devoured in the maw of show business fame as well. Because NO woman, ANYWHERE, is "asking for it."

UPDATE: Imagine my surprise when I found that Amanda, who God knows has first-hand knowledge of what sexism there is in presidential politics, kinda sorta is on the same wavelength as I am.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
There's a certain amount of stupid male shit I chalk up to "It figures" and move on. Without a drink to dump in the lap of every man who says something stupid, I'm at a loss.

I do think I could help, though. Is, um, MSNBC in the market for a surly bartender?

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Excellent post.

My whiskers perked up when you mentioned Meg from Family Guy. Her treatment on the show is so cold and bizarre, it always stands out.

Meg is the kind of girl that i get crushes on in real life, and if i were writing the show, i could never, ever maintain such a constant level of abuse towards her (i'm something of a cartoonist myself.)

I hate it, but i almost envy their dedication. I couldn't do it.

Blogger Bob said...
"Sweet Jesus I Hate Chris Matthews" is an excellent title for a facebook group.

Blogger Melina said...
Schuster was made to apologize on Tucker's show, and...I dunno...I don't like what he said, but I do like him most of the time...and I also think that "pimping" is a good word when you look at this clip of the view:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/06/chelsea-clinton-calls-vi_n_85306.html

This is someone who is kept off limits from the press...
Apparently it worked in that they talked about it on the View. I guess that any publicity is good publicity.
At least she didn't call the horrid Elizabeth Hasselback, Bush's only celebrity friend in NYC willing to appear publicly for him!
I just think that its disingenuous to use her that way and then pull her back form the press...
and she is a beautiful woman, regardless of the fact that she is a hedge fund worker, which is a little less than I would've hoped for her. But money has always been a bottom line for the Clinton machine.
Anyway, I don't think that such a big deal should be made about all of this. David Schuster does not have a history of this sort of stuff, and if anything he is like the geeky younger brother who cant pull the tough talk off. He is less one of the guys in that he is actually an intellectual. I hate the MSNBC double standard and I wrote them to tell them as much as soon as the stupid apology appeared.
If thats what they're doing then I think that we need a nightly apology break in the schedule to make up for the daily comments of Morning Joe, Tucky, and Tweety.
WTF are they thinking?
Schuster's apology left me with a sick feeling and a BUT... sentence...like, But, its OK for the rest of them to continue to do it...

As far as the feminist angle on this. I don't think that his use of the word even went to a sexual connotation...as if "blogwhoring" is somehow a sexual reference (and maybe because I cant imagine most of the big boyz, who one might whore blogs to, naked much less in a sexual way...ugh!!) I believe that the word PIMP is rooted enough in the vernacular that its less about the sex trade and more a business term.
I'm not gonna knee jerk over to the feminist side of that.
I think that we devalue ourselves when we jump on every little thing said....we devalue ourselves when we act like we cant take a WORD, as opposed to the entire attitude of a group like the MSNBC bad boyz that is only addressed when
someone notices what was said...or when it comes out of a mouth that we're not used to hearing it from.
And the largely male problem of turning every word, streetname, song, you-name-it...into a sexual reference is just pathetic...but, I can tell you that it starts young and innocent...and then turns into something else...its not unlike the roosters in my yard and how they act, really...
A male Psychiatrist I know, told me that its uncanny how whenever he is at a meeting of great minds with high degrees, and they are all male, if someone says "the woodcock-Johnson test" (which is a much used psyc test) all the men start to snort and snark under their breath....These are grown men...dr's...
so, I dont really have much hope. I consider it to be their problem unless they they use it to hurt someone.
Its not like Schuster said "pimping...but she is such a dog that..." and I think he is really sorry.


Anyway, Chelsea is a big girl and if she had any ballz she would get on the cover of people magazine like a normal person ;-) and say something like "STOP CALLING ME UGLY...I LOVE MYSELF!!"
because its not about her anymore. Its about every gawky, frizzy haired kid who is growing up with a sister who screams at her that she is fat all the time. No, wait, thats me....
Its about every American woman who cant ever possibly fit into the mold.
Look if they even take Tyra apart for being "heavy" and if that Geller actress, or whoever she was, has to appear on People in her bikini saying "stop calling me FAT!"...well, maybe this argument is more about Chelsea keeping quiet and not speaking out to all women about what its like, in order to help someone else. Y'know, Im sorry she was born a Clinton...but Im sorry the Kennedy's were born Kennedy's...you either grab the mantle or you keep really quiet. I don't know if you get it both ways in this society.
I'm not into protecting a public person...I just don't think that they can have it all, and only speak to specific celebrities and then ask them to go on TV and talk about it!!! But only say a certain thing!!! Come on!
I am, however, into protecting the mentally ill, which Spears is. There is some cautionary tale there, but it is evolving...and the fucking paparazzi and America's hunger to see our darlings fall, and get fat and old, is going to be a big part of it.

Blogger Jennifer said...
I don't think the problem was so much in the (formerly, at least) sexual associations of "pimping out" as it was this: adult children of candidates working on their parents' campaigns has been a feature of not only this campaign, but many others in the past (the Romney boys, Mary Cheney, those fabulous, fabulous Gore girls) and yet somehow, it's ONLY a problem when it's Hillary Clinton's daughter working on Hillary's campaign. Seriously, can you recall any media figure ever going after any other child of a candidate for working on the campaign? I cannot. I know the bloggers had lots to say about Mary Cheney selling out her gay brethren to help elect the most evil administration ever, but that wasn't coming out of the mouth of big media.

As for what Shuster said, I don't think he was intending to call anyone a whore so much as he was trying to use slang to appear hip. The problem is that his phrase of choice was intended to express derision. Which takes us back to the point I raised in paragraph 1.

Hillary's not my candidate in the primary, but I have to say kudos to her for drawing a line in the sand and making it clear that the media double standard will not be tolerated. If the media wanted to jump all over the offspring of the candidates, seems to me a better target would have been the Romney boys, sons of a "let's have MORE war" candidate who for some reason, cannot find their way to the local recruiter's office, and who figured in one of the most outlandish things said by any candidate of either party in this campaign: "My boys are supporting America by promoting me for president" (paraphrase). If that wasn't a fucking invitation for media derision, I don't know what is...but did you see any? Neither did I.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I agree with Jennifer.

Schuster seemed to be trying to "flow" in hipster lexicon ... ala MTV's "Pimp my Ride" and etc. Authentic "hipsters" may actually consider the use of the "pimp" thing in the lexicon to be "played out." If this is true, it would not surprise me if Shuster was oblivious to this.

Anyway, several months ago I saw Shuster absolutely dismantle Tucker and Tucker's disingenuous bullshit re: the Valarie Plame affair - to the point where Tucker had to simply smile, bow down and say "nicely done."

Re: the what about Tweety Bird, what about Scarborough questions - I sense that MSNBC, being a subset of NBC news - where Russert and Brian Williams are key players, leans pro-republican, pro-conservative, anti-liberal, anti-Democrat. Since Shuster, I sense, at a minimum does not share this bias and will challenge a conservative like Tucker Carlson instead of simply saying "interesting point ..." or "I see ..." like a Russert or a Williams.

I think MSNBC is doing a "you hung yourself, buddy - GOTCHA" thing to Shuster.

Take care, all.

"The New Kid"