"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Saturday, December 29, 2007

Awesome.
Posted by Jill | 3:48 PM
Not that I would have known it if Melina hadn't sent me the link (because my fucking New York Times delivery guy hasn't delivered the Goddamn paper on Saturday since he got his Christmas tip and what's the point of home delivery if you don't get the fun sections a day early?), but the Grey Lady pays tribute to the late, great Steve Gilliard in its annual "Lives they Lived" edition of the Magazine.

Not, however, that this makes up for them bringing on WILLIAM FUCKING KRISTOL as a columnist....

And of course it would be even more awesome if Steve Gilliard were still here, but kudos to the Times for recognize how important he was to the blogging community. Now if they only got it right about his life. Group News Blogger Jesse Wendel sets the record straight. I never even knew the man and I miss him every day, though not as much as I would if the GNB-ers weren't doing such a fine job carrying on his legacy.

More from Driftglass, Liberty Street USA, Tom Watson, Barbara O'Brian at Mahablog, BlueGal at Crooks and Liars, Lindsay Beyerstein, Matt Browner-Hamlin, Kevin Hayden, Pachacutec at FDL, and the usual suspects.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
1 Comments:
Blogger Porlock Junior said...
Purty good story, introducing the uninitiated to him; but what the Hell do they mean, vicious? The word is fierce.

Let's hope the poor dears never go over to Group News Blog and meet Lower Manhattanite.