"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Wingnut Credo
Posted by Jill | 11:15 AM

Bob Odenkirk sums up the wingnut mindset:

When this thing began, I was a yellow-bellied liberal. As Karl Rove pointed out, my initial suggestion immediately after 9-11 was to send therapists to the Middle East. I wanted to try to “understand” the people who committed this horrifying deed. I wanted to hold their hands, pat them on the back, and send them “we’re sorry” cards and shipments of “Peeps” Easter candies in a “we heart you” basket. In fact, I was the one who suggested we get Dr. Phil on Al jazeera, daily. I wanted to send a delegation of children over there to make a giant clay sculpture entitled “Peace Lump”. I wanted to start a dialogue, whatever that is. I remember thinking, wrongly, “Well, this is a part of the world which we have used and used and where we have neglected to engage with it’s people in a serious manner and the wave of anger and resentment they have for us must run deep and strong. Probably we will have a long slog of engagement and adjustment and entrenchment ahead of us over there to win them over.” How stupid of me.

But the right wing radio personalities and pundits etc. put me right. They pointed out that whatever effort the troops were involved in, no matter where, or for what reason, you must support that effort. Because not supporting the mission is not supporting the individuals being sent on the mission. Because if you support the troops then therefore you must support anything they are sent to do! It’s simple; do you support the troops, or not?

I immediately began supporting the troops. I put yellow ribbons up around my house. Literally everywhere (On my bedposts, on trees outside, on the mailbox pole (17 of them!)! I took pictures of the yellow ribbons and sent those to the troops. Can you imagine how thrilled they must be to know my yellow ribbons are everywhere! Yellow ribbons! And ribbon stickers on the back of my car! The troops must be ecstatic to know of all my yellow ribbons! Imagine you are a young father or mother. You have been away from your family, your newborn kids, your young husband or wife, you haven’t seen them in months. You are scared shitless of every civilian around you, whom you are supposed to be protecting. You have to travel in crudely armored vehicles from here to there and you have no idea when you’ll be back home or if you are making any progress of any kind. Then, you get a picture of a yellow ribbon on a tree in Los Angeles! A picture of a yellow ribbon! Think of it! A yellow ribbon! How great is that? That must be an awesome feeling! Fuck, I wish I was one of the troops just so I could feel the greatness of knowing somebody put a fucking yellow fucking ribbon up in reference to me! Ribbons of Yellow!


(hat tip: Attaturk)
Bookmark and Share