"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Monday, August 15, 2005

A Modern Fabulous Wedding
Posted by Jill | 7:49 AM

Well, yesterday I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the nuptials of ModFab and Mr. ModFab.

I have been to many weddings in my life, but I have to tell you, I have never been to a wedding as lovely and as heartfelt as this one -- and with live entertainment to boot, since Mr. ModFab happens to be one glorious baritone.

I'm not a big wedding cryer, since I've been to so many weddings where it was time to either break up or get married, and the couple got married. This was not one of them. Those of us who are straight have it easy. We decide to get married, and everyone things we've done something wonderful, and the whole world applauds. But if you're gay, you're treated as if you and your partner are solely responsible for the downfall of civilization, as if wanting to pledge to each other in front of your family and friends is somehow different if the gender of the person standing with you is the same as your own. That just doesn't make any sense.

But still, I was OK until they brought out the broom. Jumping the broom seems to be an African marriage ritual that predates the arrival of European slave traders in Africa, but in this country it's mostcommonly associated with slavery, as a way slaves could honor their unions, since they were not legally allowed to marry. Since gay couples are the last bastion of unsanctioned unions among consenting adults, adopting this association seems somewhat fitting. Watching my dear friends re-enact this ritual was so moving, and yet made me so angry that in this day and age, such things are still necessary.

I hope the day comes when a gay wedding doesn't seem at all subversive. Meanwhile, I hope you all will join me in wishing the Messrs. ModFab a long and happy life together.

PS: I went home afterwards from this gay wedding and lo and behold, despite the dire predictions of Rick Santorum, I was still married! How about that?
Bookmark and Share