"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Thursday, January 20, 2005

Ignore-yer-nation day
Posted by Jill | 2:05 PM
Light blogging today; I am too busy and I'm also observing Ignore-Yer-Nation Day, in addition to Not One Damn Dime Day (which meant that instead of picking up something yummy for lunch and a hot chocolate when I had to run home to get my ID badge, it was leftovers at home and rotten coffee from this morning when I got back to the office).

But if you're blog-starved, here are a couple of things to tide you over:


Now, about that "Hunks of the Left" calendar I promised you a few months ago. This is something I really wanted to do, and had the guys all picked out. This is going to be a really fun sort of little throwaway, but watching Barack Obama, who was going to be Mr. January, capitulate to the forces of evil in his first two chances, I've kind of lost my enthusiasm for this project honoring some of the unlikely male sex symbols of the left. So I'm asking you, fair readers: What should I do? Should I plug away with Messrs. February - December, even though they're a frighteningly white bunch? Should I give up? Should I just wait till next year?

Anyway, those links ought to hold you for a while. Meanwhile, I'll leave you with this little tidbit from Sy Hersh's must-read New Yorker article on what we can look forward to as we leave Iraq a complete and utter shambles and move on to destroy Iran next, at the behest of Israel, which should REALLY make us a whole lot of friends in the Arab world:

The immediate goals of the attacks would be to destroy, or at least temporarily derail, Iran’s ability to go nuclear. But there are other, equally purposeful, motives at work. The government consultant told me that the hawks in the Pentagon, in private discussions, have been urging a limited attack on Iran because they believe it could lead to a toppling of the religious leadership. “Within the soul of Iran there is a struggle between secular nationalists and reformers, on the one hand, and, on the other hand, the fundamentalist Islamic movement,” the consultant told me. “The minute the aura of invincibility which the mullahs enjoy is shattered, and with it the ability to hoodwink the West, the Iranian regime will collapse”—like the former Communist regimes in Romania, East Germany, and the Soviet Union. Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz share that belief, he said.

“The idea that an American attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities would produce a popular uprising is extremely illinformed,” said Flynt Leverett, a Middle East scholar who worked on the National Security Council in the Bush Administration. “You have to understand that the nuclear ambition in Iran is supported across the political spectrum, and Iranians will perceive attacks on these sites as attacks on their ambitions to be a major regional player and a modern nation that’s technologically sophisticated.” Leverett, who is now a senior fellow at the Saban Center for Middle East Policy, at the Brookings Institution, warned that an American attack, if it takes place, “will produce an Iranian backlash against the United States and a rallying around the regime.”


Welcome to Bush II: The Nightmare Continues. May God have mercy on our souls.
Bookmark and Share