"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, December 17, 2004

Al Franken: A Bob Hope for the Millennium
Posted by Jill | 1:07 PM

For those who are not Air America listeners, you should note that Al Franken is spending the holidays with the USO, entertaining troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. Yes, folks, Al Franken, that famous anti-American, treasonous LIBERAL is in a frickin' WAR ZONE to show his support for the guys Bush is so merrily and blithely tossing into a meatgrinder.

This is not the first time Franken has done this. Here's what he told Candy Crowley after his return last year:

CROWLEY: I was going to ask you that because unlike some comedians you are so well-known for your political views as well. Do you find that interferes at all, or are they just glad to have you there?

FRANKEN: They are glad to have me there. And also, I just -- my opening joke usually was, "Anybody here from out of town?" And then, you know, "This Army grub, it doesn't agree with me. I've had three MREs -- those are meals ready to eat -- and none of them seem to have an exit strategy."

So it's a different kind of humor I do, but every, you know, I had a number of soldiers come up to me and say, "I don't agree with you politically, but I so appreciate you coming." And they really do.

We had an urban, girl trio, singing group, and their manager -- we did a show in the hangar in Baghdad where the president had served Thanksgiving dinner -- and a soldier went up to the manager of these girls and said, "It's really an honor to meet you," and the manager said, "You don't understand, I'm just the manager of these girls."

And he [the soldier] said, "No, no, you don't understand. I'm a soldier. I had to be here. I met President Bush a few weeks ago. He's the president, and he really should come here. You don't have to be here. You came here because you care, and I -- so it's more of an honor to meet you."


The Freepers are, of course, apoplectic. If you can stomach it, the link gives you an example to some of the finest in completely irrational, uninformed, horseshit on the political scene today. 10 bucks says not one of them has sent a care package to one of the troops they claim to support so much. Certainly none of THEIR heroes -- not Limbaugh, not Hannity, not O'Reilly, not Coulter, not one of them -- has voluntarily expended the effort to put himself (yes, that includes Coulter) in harm's way to actually do something.

I guess that's what's so galling. All the more reason why it's important for our side to get those care packages ordered and those phone cards mailed to Walter Reed.



Bookmark and Share