"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Making having a period a crime
Posted by Jill | 5:40 AM
There are times when I wish Abraham Lincoln had just said "Don't let the door hitcha where the good Lord splitcha."

Mississippi is about to vote on an amendment to its state constitution to bestow personhood on fertilized eggs:
A national effort to put abortion bans into state constitutions is looking for its first victory next month in Mississippi, where voters are being asked to approve an amendment declaring that life begins when a human egg is fertilized.

Supporters hope the so-called personhood initiative will succeed in a Bible Belt state that already has some of the nation's toughest abortion regulations and only a single clinic where the procedures are performed.

The initiative is endorsed by both candidates in a governor's race that's being decided the same day. While Mississippi is the only state with such an amendment on the ballot this fall, efforts are under way to put the question to voters in at least four other states in 2012.

[snip]

"We feel like the docs and the patients are getting caught in the middle of a war between the anti-abortion folks and the pro-choice folks," said Dr. Wayne Slocum of Tupelo, head of the Mississippi section of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, a group that opposes the initiative.


It's one thing to declare that human life begins at implantation of a fertilized egg, since that's when a pregnancy actually begins. That too has its problems, because of the possibility of making miscarriage a criminal, or even capital, offense (something the state of Georgia has already considered).

The American College of Obstetricans and Gynecologists has stated unequivocally that pregnancy does not occur intil a fertilized egg is implanted, and that up to 1/3 to 1/2 of fertilized eggs never implant. These then dissolve and become part of the so-called "products of menstruation."

Of course science and medicine have absolutely no place in the misogynist dogma of the Christofascist Zombie Brigade. What's imiportant is that the evil sluts who won't keep their legs closed must be punished by bearing a child -- and those who harbor that 1/3 to 1/2 of eggs that never implant must be investigated, and perhaps criminally charged, if they have a period.

There's only one way to deal with this, and that is for women of reproductive age to start sending their used sanitary products to the Mississippi statehouse, along with letters asking if legislators of that state plan to examine every woman's menstrual fluid in a futile search for dissolved fertilized eggs....or if they just plan to jail every woman who ever has her period on the grounds that she might have "murdered" a fertilized egg.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
11 Comments:
Anonymous The Wifely Person said...
okay...that is totally batshit. But on the other hand, what do you expect from Mississippi? They're batshit on a whole lotta issues.

Perhaps this is the start of a breeding ground for the new slave class? No education, no insurance, no housing, no opportunity...what's left other than indentured servitude? Hmmm. Maybe THIS is the secret plan.

Anonymous Tata said...
I now wish Lincoln had let them go, too. It may be that we are just too different to be one nation anymore.

Wonder how the secessionists would feel if they had to stop waving that flag in our faces because it was ours, not theirs.

Blogger Carolyn said...
This logic is the personification of batshit. I'm an 'old' feminist from the 60s and can tell you I, along with many others.... supported Roe v. Wade and do not want to see this rescinded.

You younger women need to keep this legislation alive. So glad to see these issues coming to the forefront again.

It is simply no one's business what I do with my uterus... none zip nada zero... pro-choice does not mean pro abortion .... -- it means pro CHOICE...

I know I'm preaching to the choir ;) but JEEEEZ I get so tired of the batshitters who want to tell me what I should and should not think, believe or do...

Enjoy your blog very much - glad I found it. forgot where I found it ... ;)

Several on Facebook have been having this discussion lately.

I am a southerner and I assure you we are quite diverse in our opinions as well as culture.

Please don't categorize or label ALL southerners thinking and behaving as these morons... No more than any politician truly represents his or her state.

This is as dangerous as the religious right doing their number ...

Putting all Christians and all Muslims and all any this or that is not knowing all Christians or all Muslims or all of any this or that

For the record ... I'm a liberal - non church goer - travel a lot and have experienced knowing a lot of different cultures and people from these here United States...;) and I'm telling ya...

There are loony toons in each and every region and state. Don't think I need to name them ...

Education comes in all forms.

Travel, experiencing and understanding are wonderful forms.

I live in Little Rock --- it is a choice. I am southern. I am an American concerned with all inequities.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I cannot understand how people that think can actually live in Mississippi.

I will drive from southern California to Florida via Tennessee to avoid even being in that state or Alabama or Louisiana. I can't avoid Georgia but I can cut it down to a minimum.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Why let science get in the way, when total stupidity is much more fun?

These people are just the best advertisement for being an atheist....

Blogger Jill said...
Carolyn: My mother and sister live in NC, so I'm not tarring all southerners. Of course they live in the Triangle, which technically doesn't count as the south, it's more like "Jersey on the Piedmont."

Blogger Carolyn said...
There are certainly more important issues that need our attention than whether all southerners are batshit.

I find it sad that this would even enter into any discussion.

But, it does. Those are mean spirited comments, however ... against an entire region.

But being a liberal... you have the right to express your opinion and believe as you will. However close minded that might be.

It is my opinion that there are too many people who are close minded and refuse to see a larger picture than what is transmitted through the media.

Thinkers in Mississippi... man oh man.. anonymous...

at any rate people... let's fight for women's rights and human rights and animal rights ... whether they're in the south or Timbuktu.

Dislike ignert southerners later. okay?

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Jill,

I grew up in NC -- back in the 50's and 60's. My parents lived there [Mecklenburg, Iredell, and Alexander Counties] until they passed away a few years ago. I visited more than I probably wanted to! Many [most!?] of my childhood friends weent to Duke, UNC, or State. [OK! A few went to Davidson and Wake Forest! Outside the Triangle.]

I question whether your people in the Triangle actually live "in NC". Most of the ones I know from there [and I have done a LOT of IT consulting there] might accept that they are "surrounded" by NC, but hardly consider themselves to be a "part" of it. I doubt that those who surround the Triangle even know what goes on there, and if they think of it at all consider it that bunch of "smart as*es up the road".
But I think that calling it "Jersey" is an insult to New Jersey.

PS: The last time I looked the Triangle was the only place in NC with a median education above 10th grade. And considering that "science" is a dirty word in schools elsewhere in the state, I doubt that many outside the Triangle could ever work there. And if you ask those in the Triangle where they're from, it ain't NC!

Blogger Jill said...
Anon: My sister's been there for over 2 decades....and if all goes well I hope to be able to retire and move there. There's actually more stuff I like to do in Chapel Hill than there is in Bergen County, NJ.

Of course it's ridiculous to make generalizations about an entire region. Sussex County, NJ is just as redneck as any part of the south. And it was at college in Eastern Pennsylvania where I was first asked where my horns were, because the person who asked me was always told that Jews have horns.

Ignorance knows no geography. And yes, when I wrote about Lincoln letting the south secede, I knew I was lumping my own people in there...but I was using it to illustrate a point, not to be taken literally.

Blogger Carolyn said...
Well? I've started at least three comments and deleted all three.

I have learned it is an exercise in futility to try and understand mindsets such as anonymous posseses.

If Kelly Ripa wasn't from Jersey, I would probably think that all people from Jersey were like Snooki, et al or the Jersey Housewives... never watched either show but have seen them on the news and promos... have mercy

Then again, no I wouldn't because I know better by having traveled and being open minded.

Blogger Carolyn said...
Oh, ratz... I misspelled possesses...

Me! a high school graduate from Arkansas...