"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, January 30, 2011

I wish I could have had a chance to talk to this person
Posted by Jill | 6:27 PM
This is the saddest thing I have ever read.

At twenty-seven I felt like Faith Jackson did, that I would never meet anyone, that I would be alone my whole life, that I would never have work that I enjoyed, a partner, joy in life. I too felt that everything would be the same.

Every day you wake up is one with potential for things to change. Sometimes it takes a long time. Sometimes it doesn't look like you thought it would. But to give up at age 34 is tragic.

If you find yourself feeling like this, that you do not feel like going on because nothing in your life will ever change, PLEASE SEEK HELP.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Anonymous Comrade PhysioProf said...
Yes, absolutely heartbreaking. The tragedy of depression and suicide is that even if you have people to tell you you'll feel better, even if you have been through episodes of depression before and gotten better and so you *know* you're gonna feel better, sometimes the psychic pain is so overwhelming that your endurance runs out, and you kill yourself.

Blogger Pangolin said...
Everything you ever hear on the lamestream media is that if you have a problem you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Eventually people believe it. My brother did; he checked out in 2006. I suffer from familial depression and I'm always told that there is some "program", yoga, exercise, meditation, pills, diet or whatever that would fix me. Then they tell me I'm lazy.

There are no bootstraps.

For some the ladder will never have enough rungs and to shame them is to invite them to punch out.

Blogger jurassicpork said...
You're right. This is the saddest suicide note you'll ever read anywhere. In fact, until very recently, it could've been me who wrote that. I know and understand very well what it's like meeting the right people who turn out to be the wrong people and to be forever frustrated in your quest for a happy marriage and loving, healthy children. No, that's not too much to ask for.

But this world, this country, especially, is one in which certain people don't, can't or won't get a break. The current system, whether it be literary representation, book contracts, even just getting a job, is set up to make most of us fail.

And there's so many of crowding the internet, it's difficult to be heard regardless of your talent, passion and insightfulness. I feel what she felt every damned day of my life when I go completely ignored on Twitter, either of my blogs, Facebook, Scribd, where ever I go. I feel that way every time I get a form rejection letter in my inbox or mailbox from some jaded, brain dead literary agency who doesn't recognize my talent and marketability.

You play by the rules and do what your parents and teachers and other elders taught you then you make your way out in the world and find out it was one big, colossal joke.

And when you fall flat on your face, there are fewer and fewer people who will pick you up. You're supposed to get up by yourself. Either get up or get eaten by the ants.

So, yeah, I could've written that but this girl was still do young and pretty and obviously intelligent and her story is especially poignant.