"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Who's the parasite here?
Posted by Jill | 7:47 PM
Republican candidate for Pennsylvania governor Tom Corbett, who is currently receiving a government paycheck as the state's Attorney General and seeks to continue to be the recipient of a taxpayer salary as governor:
Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett said last week that some workers who are between jobs will stay that way as long as they are receiving unemployment benefits.

Corbett made the comment on Pennsylvania Public Radio while campaigning for governor in Elizabethtown. His Democratic opponent in the election, Dan Onorato, said he doesn't know "what world (Corbett) is living on."

"People don't want to come back to work while they still have unemployment. They're literally telling - I'll come back to work when the unemployment runs out. That's becoming a problem," Corbett said.

"The jobs are there, but if we keep extending unemployment the people are going to sit there and... I've literally had construction companies tell me, I can't get people to come back to work, until... they say, 'I'll come back to work when unemployment runs out.'"

Reality:

I think Mr. Corbett has just demonstrated the Peter Principle by reaching his level of incompetence.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Anonymous Charlie O said...
I am sure there are a few who taking the tack that Mr. Corbett mentions. Milking unemployment insurance for they can get. I have a very hard time believing that it is in any way a majority. Everyone knows that UI benefits are far lower than a paycheck. (If I were to collect the PA max, I still be taking home less than 1/2 my net.) It would be a gargantuan fool to turn down a bonafide job to milk maybe continuing UI benefits. Oh, there's a few, but again, I can't see it as a majority. I'm gonna miss Ed Rendell. Everything about him screams "big city machine politician," but something about him I like. I really don't know much about Onorato, but I'm sure he's a better choice than this putz. Double that for Toomey.

Blogger Scribble A Day said...
If Mr. Corbett really does know of someone who refused to come back to work until his unemployment runs out, all he needs do is contact the unemployment offices and give them the name of that person. Anyone on unemployment has to accept all legitimate job offers, or lose their benefits. And I can't imagine any construction firm dumb enough to let their laid off employees dictate the terms of their return to work, since the firm ends up paying higher and higher UEI to cover those payouts.
These Repubs really are living in another world.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wikipedia says that the only time that he ever actually worked for any social good was for a year as a teacher.

The rest of the time he has just been a parasite. Either on the public tit or as a lawyer.

He seems to have political pull since he dodged the Vietnam War and kept Pennsylvania safe.