"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, February 03, 2010

OK, I am now officially rooting for the Saints on Sunday
Posted by Jill | 9:18 PM
I was kind of leaning that way anyway. I think New Orleans could use a Super Bowl win. But now I may have to go the full chicken-wing-and-cheering thing. Here's why:
When the request arrived in an e-mail last fall, Scott Fujita replied immediately and without reservation. A friend had asked him his opinion. He answered. That was how Fujita looked at it.

The swiftness and certitude of Fujita’s reply stunned Dave Zirin, the friend who sent the e-mail. Zirin had not made a typical request, not for an NFL linebacker. He was looking for a professional athlete to lend his name to the National Equality March, a rally in Washington for gay rights.

On Sunday, Fujita will reach the pinnacle of his football career, playing linebacker for the New Orleans Saints in the Super Bowl. Fujita describes it as “this small moment in time where you have a platform to do some good things.’’ Last fall, that included speaking out in support of gay rights, a rare step in a professional sporting culture that often turns social stances into landmines.

Fujita, who is married, the father of twin daughters, and straight, pushes against the rising trend in sports to remain mum on cultural and political touchstones. His boldness, shaped by his unusual upbringing, makes him an uncommon and effective advocate for what he believes in.

“People asked me a question and I gave my opinion,’’ Fujita said. “People say, ‘That’s so courageous of you.’ To me, it’s not that courageous to have an opinion, especially if you wholeheartedly think it’s the right thing. For me, standing up for equal rights is the right thing to do.’’

Read the whole article. This young man is awesomeness with extra awesome sauce on the side.

(h/t)

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
2 Comments:
Blogger jurassicpork said...
NOLA needs this and not in the way that the fucking Yankees "needed" yet another World Series title after 9/11. NOLA's never win a world sporting championship plus I'm a Pats fan we hate the fucking Colts. Isn't anyone else getting sick of seeing a Manning brother in the Super Bowl? This makes the third in a row.

There's a new roast beef and chicken wing place (my two favorite food groups) that just opened up across the street from our house. They're playing the Super Bowl from 3 TV's and I'm taking Barb there whether or not we can afford it.

They even have free wifi, so that seals the deal. And all day long we'll be Saints fans and laughing at the Colts.

Anonymous CC said...
Not third in a row, Jurassicpork (last year it was Roethlisberger vs. Warner), but third in the last four years.;)

I'm no fan of Tom Benson, but I'd rather see the Saints win than the Colts. (If the Jets were in the big game, it would be a different story.)