"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, February 19, 2010

Oh, Snap!
Posted by Jill | 6:23 AM
Sarah Palin likes to use her son Trig as a prop for her political views. She uses him as a poster child for her anti-reproductive-freedom views (for all that it appears that flying back to Alaska after her water broke sure looks like an attempt at a self-induced late-term abortion). She uses him to take offense whenever anyone who isn't a wingnut uses the word "retarded". (Hey, Sarah! Marc Maron does it all the time. Why not go after him? His podcast could use the publicity.)

We already know that when an influential wingnut talks about "retards", it's satire. But let a cartoon show do a throwaway joke about the parent of a Downs Syndrome child being a former governor of Alaska, and all hell breaks loose.

But the actress who voiced the character knows the meaning of satire, even if Sarah Palin doesn't. And Andrea Friedman wrote to the media to let them know:
The father of the actress who provided the voice for the character of the young woman on the episode of Family Guy, which Sarah Palin described as "a kick in the gut", has sent this e-mail to a friend of palingates:

Below is a copy of a letter to the editor that Andrea has written and sent. Please feel free to circulate it on the web or in any other manner that you choose.

All best wishes,

Hal Friedman

My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in " Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.

Andrea sent her comment by e-mail to the New York Times

Andrea Friedman, you rock.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
1 Comments:
Anonymous mandt said...
You go Andrea! You are so right about a good laugh now and then. And, you were generous about the 'loaf of French bread.' Palin turned Trig into a media hyped stunt baby----disgusting. She should be turned into child-welfare services for infant abuse.