"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, June 28, 2009

Does this make me a bad person....
Posted by Jill | 11:54 AM
...that all I can think of in regard to Michael Jackson is this Weird Al Yankovic parody?


Labels:

Bookmark and Share
6 Comments:
Blogger Lockwood said...
I hope not, because then I would be a bad person for constantly recalling the second video in this post.

I will say, though, that I'm a little freaked by a comment I made just a few months ago in this post: "It's interesting to consider... if MJ had died tragically in the the late 80's, he would forever be considered a hero, a great loss to humanity, and a visionary pioneer of popular music. Instead, his legacy will be as a punchline to raunchy jokes, and as a baseline of physical repulsiveness. If he had been given a choice in, say, 1989, which path do you think he would have chosen? Achilles was given a similar choice; he's remembered, what, 2500, 3000 years later?"

And likewise, by my elaboration a week and half later.

For me though, it seems that my tendency to think in terms of the satire and jokes is an attempt to find some happiness in a profoundly talented and profoundly tragic life. The fact that I didn't really care for much of his music doesn't mean I didn't respect his abilities, nor detract from the sadness and empathy I've felt for him these last 20 years or so.

Blogger Jill said...
DAMN, Lockwood, thanks for posting that link. That Toccata and Fugue is so awesome it practically made me weep with joy.

Blogger Jill said...
Also...the thing that's fascinating about Steve Martin is how cold and dead-fish his eyes are, and how cerebral he is, and yet he's a great physical comic.

hehe, I'd forgotten about this.

Blogger Lockwood said...
Thanks, Jill, glad you enjoyed it... I had much the same reaction. The contrast between what I've always thought of as an ominous, "spooky" piece of music, and the grace and glee with which these women execute it, is truly a delight.

Blogger D. said...
Not at all.

There are articles, probably on the "Weird Al" website, which I'm too lazy to look up, which state clearly that Jackson approved the parodies and, in the case of "Fat" loaned him the subway set.

The parodies are remarkably exact, if you notice.