"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Saturday, June 20, 2009

And the geek shall inherit the earth
Posted by Jill | 7:57 AM
Very different from, but no less smart, erudite, and hilarious than Stephen Colbert's White House Correspondents Dinner skewering of George W. Bush, is John Hodgman's headlining speech at last night's Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner:




Sounding very much like Marvin the Martian claiming this planet in the name of Mars, last night Hodgman claimed this country in the name of geeks and nerds everywhere.

As someone who has been one for lo these 53 years and only realized when I turned 40 that my problem as a child was that I had been 40 all along, I can only say "It's about damn time."

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
1 Comments:
Blogger Melina said...
I also loved this!
Alas, I had to go and get Will at a party (only to have him ask me if he could sleepover when I got there...so then drove back home alone!) so I didn't get the whole thing till later...
Not that he wasn't great before, but I really felt like a star was born last night in that bit.
It was perfect in just about every way.
If the comedians miss Bush because Obama is too perfect, they are just lazy...it may be that the good comedians really get to shine now, and our president is no slouch in comedic delivery either!

Any comic that is having trouble now is lazy because of the platter of easy pickins' that Bush and co. handed out every day.
This takes a little more intelligence and talent!