"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The hell with them
Posted by Jill | 5:17 AM
I have too many credit cards, far more than I need. I don't use most of them, and on the ones I do use, rarely carry balances more than a month; two at most. I have cards I haven't used in years. About a year ago I started closing them out, but I'm doing it very slowly, because closing accounts you don't use, like everything else you do including breathing, drops your FICO score.

I have one account that I almost never use. I'm not sure why I have it or how I got it, but it's there, it has 14,000 rewards points on it, and it has an APR under eight percent -- or at least it did until yesterday, when I received a notice in the mail that effective in August, my rate is going up to 17.9%.

WTF?

Of course, first I went to see what I could do about these rewards points, and of course all the "rewards" start at 20,000. There is no way I am going to put another $6,000 on this card before August (or ever), so I decided to get right on the phone, cancel the card, and then ceremonially cut it up.

It turns out that customers like me are in the crosshairs of credit card companies, and that our reward for paying our bills on time is going to be higher rates and more fees:
As they thin their ranks of risky cardholders to deal with an economic downturn, major banks including American Express, Citigroup, Bank of America and a long list of others have already begun to raise interest rates, and some have set their sights on consumers who pay their bills on time. The legislation scheduled for a Senate vote on Tuesday does not cap interest rates, so banks can continue to lift them, albeit at a slower pace and with greater disclosure.

“There will be one-size-fits-all pricing, and as a result, you’ll see the industry will be more egalitarian in terms of its revenue base,” said David Robertson, publisher of the Nilson Report, which tracks the credit card business.

People who routinely pay off their credit card balances have been enjoying the equivalent of a free ride, he said, because many have not had to pay an annual fee even as they collect points for air travel and other perks.

“Despite all the terrible things that have been said, you’re making out like a bandit,” he said. “That’s a third of credit card customers, 50 million people who have gotten a great deal.”

Robert Hammer, an industry consultant, said the legislation might have the broad effect of encouraging card issuers to become ever more reliant on fees from marginal customers as well as creditworthy cardholders — “deadbeats” in industry parlance, because they generate scant fee revenue.

“They aren’t charities. They have shareholders to report to,” he said, referring to banks and credit card companies. “Whatever is left in the model to work from, they will start to maneuver.”

Banks used to give credit cards only to the best consumers and charge them a flat interest rate of about 20 percent and an annual fee. But with the relaxing of usury laws in some states, and the ready availability of credit scores in the late 1980s, banks began offering cards with a variety of different interest rates and fees, tying the pricing to the credit risk of the cardholder.

That helped push interest rates down for many consumers, but they soared for riskier cardholders, who became a significant source of revenue for the industry. The recent economic downturn challenged that formula, and banks started dumping the riskiest customers and lowering their credit limits in earnest as the recession accelerated. Now, consumers who pay their bills off every month are issuing a rising chorus of complaints about shortened grace periods, new hidden fees and higher interest rates.

The industry says that the proposals will force banks to issue fewer credit cards at greater cost to the current cardholders.


And we will respond by using cash.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
5 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
Of course if you don't carry a balance, it doesn't matter what the interest rate is. And you still get your points. That pisses them off worst of all.

But you're right, there's no reward for being financially prudent. Just the opposite, in fact.

Blogger missy said...
I recently got a new card from Chase because I got a huge cash discount on my first purchase just for signing up. I intended to keep the card but pay off that first purchase immediately (I have no other credit cards).

I paid off the purchase on time that first month, but got a late charge and $1 finance fee on the next bill. I called and they waived the late charge (out of "courtesy"), and paid the $1 finance charge on time. You can guess what happened in month 3: another late charge and $1 finance charge.

When I called to cancel the card, the shithead who they escalated me up to said they were going to report me to the credit bureaus for both late payments (neither of which was true) if I canceled the card. Now I'm waiting to see if they've actually done that.

It's fraud, but they're doing it to so many of us that the odds are in their favor both to profit off it and to get away with the false reporting.

And thanks to the Senate, they'll make billions doing it and we can all just go fuck ourselves.

Anonymous Charlie O said...
I pay no annual fees and get no rewards other than cash on any of 8 or 9 credit cards. If any of them try to charge me a fee, I just won't pay it. I won't close the account, I'll stop using it and not pay the fee. (I rarely have balances on my cards.)

Anonymous The Real Deal said...
Way back when, when American Express started the *charge* card it was such a good thing. You use it to replace the money you already has, gaining convenience especially in long travels. Having an AMEX card was a sign of sound finance management and reasonably good income. But you must pay off all of your charges by the next statement.

From then to now, America went from a superpower of high tech, the biggest creditor to the world, to a crashed power of outsourced tech, the biggest debtor the world has ever seen.

The credit card played a most vital role. The credit card - for the general public and for the federal government - is the American opium.

Back in the 19th century, Imperial Britain pumped opium into China, the giant power of the orient, to create profit from 'trade' of a useless material which Britain harvested using slaves in free colony lands. Their version of today's CDO. China soon crashed into total destruction, was invaded by Japan, and the people humiliated as running dogs. China didn't get out from the opium cancer until the Communist took over.

How long will America get out of its credit opium? It is laughable even trying to answer that. Because the government is frantically creating ever more credit opium to feed the public even now. Will the China history repeat itself in the US? Well, is California going bankrupt from screwing itself in every which way?

Anonymous Credit Card Money said...
I think this is going to get worse until Feb. 2010. People who have been screwed hard will not ever do business with certain companies again. After Feb 2010, I will be curious to see which ones are the last ones standing