"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Whatever it is, I'm against it
Posted by Jill | 6:20 AM
I'm not going to post that video from Horsefeathers again, but something about this video of "Pensacola Jeff" speaking reality to a group of cheering teabaggers last week, (via Brad Friedman) thus demonstrating that they simply haven't got a clue about what they're angry about, they're just angry:



....reminded me of this:



Because sometimes people will cheer without even hearing. And the teabaggers to whom "Pensacola Jeff" so bravely provided the facts, I'm sure went right back to bashing Obama the minute he handed over the microphone.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
2 Comments:
Blogger Spocko said...
Jeff is a friend of mine. We talked before the event about questions to ask and what to say. I was just hoping to get some RWA on the video admitting that he didn't make more than $250,000 and his taxes would go down. But Jeff took it to another level when he had a chance to speak.

In reading about Right Wing Authoritarians I've found that they can hold too totally different views points in their head. But they never "merge the files". The author talks about they pull these ideas out like they are printed on a file card and then put it back. Hence, "All Life is Sacred!" and "Kill the Muslim! Kill the criminal! Kill the Abortion provider!"

I especially like the way that he pulled the crowd in first with the "support our troops message."

The one thing we talk about before and after is the issue of physical safety. He is brave to have done this, he lives in a state with the "stand your ground" laws. Better known as the "kill bill". I don't think that he was really in physical danger, but these types of people are prone to gun violence.

Blogger BradF said...
Jill - As long as you are happily a Marxist (Bros., that is, regarding the allusion in your title), I might mention the one point I pondered, but didn't include in the article of mine you linked to (thanks). "Pensacola Jeff's" moment reminded me of the final scene of The Great Dictator, when Chaplin, as the Jewish Barber, is believed to be the Hitler character. The crowds roar with approval at his speech, even though he's talking about loving your neighbor, etc., the antithesis of what the Hitler character had previously preached to same cheering crowds.

People, it seems, want to be led. At least some. The message almost seems to make little difference in the end, eh?

Scattered thoughts. But thought you might appreciate, given your take on the above.