"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, March 22, 2009

Around the Blogroll and Elsewhere: Deadline Crunch Time Edition
Posted by Jill | 6:15 AM
For those of you who have come in from Buzzflash and Alternet the last few days, welcome. I'm sorry we had no new material for you yesterday, but if you've never been here before, you may not know that I am one of the lucky Americans who actually still has a full-time job (or again, as I was laid off from a job of eight years duration last summer). Right now said job has me on a timetable that I'm already not going to meet, so I'm heads-down testing all weekend. Usually on weekdays I'm up at 5 AM to see what fresh horrors have been unleashed upon the world while I slept, but on weekends I sleep in -- like until six -- but today as soon as I and my cup of Just Coffee Co-op's special Break Room Live Angry Chef Happy Coffee succeed in lifting the fog, I'll be back at the keyboard of the Lenovo again.

So why not sit back, relax, and browse through the archives, or else take a gander at what some of our blogroll buddies (and others) are writing? And stop back tomorrow, when I will hopefully be back on schedule.

If you want to understand how the current financial disaster came about, Milt Shook at Please Cut the Crap (which we're blogrolling today) explains it all for you -- and it isn't rocket science, it's just plain old greed.

Driftglass more than earns his Best Individual Blogger Weblog award by calling for regime change on Wall Street -- using George W. Bush pre-Iraq invasion speech.

Leo Kolivakis at Pension Pulse (via Lambert) sees a much bigger web than just AIG and Goldman Sachs. (Mr. Brilliant says that before this is all over, we will find out that the entire U.S. economy for the last 30 years has been a Ponzi scheme and 90% of the wealth we thought we had never really existed...and I'm beginning to think he's right.)

And in the same vein, Howie Klein revisits the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999, which got us into this mess.

Hoffmania on Paul Krugman's despair (which is also a good excuse to post this video).

As the Peter B. Collins show folds because no one can work for free, Robert Parry, who cashed out his Newsweek retirement account to create Consortium News, wants to know why wealthy liberals refuse to fund progressive media.

Dave Neiwert on how conservatives are finding that they have more in common with the kind of right-wing militias that gave rise to Tim McVeigh than they want to admit. (And isn't it funny that while George W. Bush was actually BUILDING the KBR camps about which Glenn Beck rails these days, and while Bush actually WAS sweeping up all our communications into that secret AT&T server room in California, these militia types were curiously silent.)

Richard Blair, who has been out of work since November, asks the question "Just how screwed are we?" and then has the answer: Completely, totally, and utterly.

Chuck Butcher does what no parent should ever have to do: eulogize his son.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Re Mr Brilliant's comment re Ponzi schemes: I became convinced sometime during my second Economics course that all economics is a large Ponzi scheme. But why only go back 30 years. The US started this mess when they went off the Gold standard. Nothing supports our economy now except the "good faith and credit..." and we see where that got us!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.