"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, January 18, 2009

Finding emotional balance this week
Posted by Jill | 8:29 AM

(AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)


As the Obama cabinet has begun to take form, I think it's clear that I haven't been able to bring myself to join the "He knows what he's doing, just sit tight" bandwagon; nor do I think that's a good precedent to set. Barack Obama's clear reluctance to investigate and prosecute the enormous crimes of his predecessor, his willingness to throw those who supported him under the bus while currying favor with the likes of Charles Krauthammer (who used Obama's conciliatory gesture to make the case that Obama's policies are in fact a vindication of George W. Bush) and William Kristol), the stocking of his economic team with Rubinites -- none of them are inclined to change my original assessment of Barack Obama as someone too inclined to choose conciliation over right. I'm of course willing -- in fact, eager -- to be pleasantly surprised, but right now what I'm expecting is "better than the alternative would have been."

That said, I've also made the decision to put my doubts aside for the next few days and allow myself to be carried along by the importance of what is going to happen on Tuesday, not just for this country, but for the entire world. ABC News' Ron Claiborne is doing a fascinating series from Africa, and will be reporting on the inauguration from Kogelo, the village from which Obama's father, Barack Obama Sr., hailed. For those of us interested in African music and culture, this is far more of a treat than even the parade of musicians, many of whom I do like, who will be performing at the Lincoln Memorial today. In the two segments I've seen so far (and alas, ABC News has not yet incorporated embedding into its videos), it's clear that the inauguration of a black president in the United States is not just stirring the hopes and dreams of young people here, but also those in African countries torn by war, ethnic strife, and corrupt governments. Whatever disappointments lay ahead of us, and I'm sure there will be many, I am keeping in mind the tears freezing on the cheeks of people standing in the cold next to railroad tracks this weekend as the "Obama Express" made its way to Washington, and the luminous smile of the young man at the Senator Obama school in Kogelo who said that if Barack Obama could become president here, then he can make it too.

There's plenty of time for disappointment later on. For now, I'm going to enjoy the hoopla and the hype and the moment. Party on, dudes.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share