"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Thursday, October 02, 2008

Will Gwen Ifill have the guts to ask Sarah Palin this?
Posted by Jill | 6:00 AM
I found this video over at Pam's House Blend, and it's worth the ten minutes it will take you to watch it. Because if you are not an End Times believer, and if you tuck your kids into bed at night believing that they have a future, then Sarah Palin is perhaps the scariest candidate ever to be on a national stage.




With the possibility that John McCain may have suffered a mini-stroke (though I would not advocate definitive-diagnosis-by-videotape; see also: Terri Schiavo/Bill Frist) while speaking today, there is a very real possibility that a vote for John McCain is a vote for President Palin.

We've managed to survive eight years of a president who believes himself to be an architect of the Final Battle™. Do we want to take a chance on another possible president with religious hallucinations?

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
6 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
>"Will Gwen Ifill have the guts to ask Sarah Palin this?"

Gwen Ifil will go out of her way to appear fair towards Sarah Palin, as a defensive move following her decision that the debate commission didn't need to know about her little book deal.

So the answer to your question is "no."

Blogger Lisa said...
It is my sincere belief that neither Sarah Palin nor George Bush truly "believe" this doctrine; rather, they use it as a cloak to gain power. And will continue to use it so long as it serves their purpose. Alas, those who DO believe in this religion follow along like good sheep. It's so so so sad.

Blogger Fran said...
Doubtful.

I must say that I was not even going to be on any blogs, but eating my lunch, I clicked in here and wow...

I just watched that whole video. If I have time I am going to blog about it too.

As a deeply religious Catholic Christian, albeit a very progressive one (I got called all sorts of names at a Catholic blog today, which is so sad but another story) I have huge issues, with due respect, to this type of Christianity.

It is very scary to me because in the case of churches like the one in Wasilla it is very easy for someone to "prophesy" and if it supports the common thought, then balls out- damn the torpedos and full speed ahead.

The other day I read a line and wish I had noted it and its author. Basically it said that the person, themselves Christian, would be doubtful of a "God that agreed with me all the time."

I could not agree with that more. Part of my faith is to wrestle with issues that challenge us all. That said, as I understand God in my faith, I see a more benevolent version.

And thankfully the video noted that there are many, the RC church among them, that see the apocalypse as metaphor.

Which ultimately scares the crap out of me because I do not want any apocalyptic asshats near red buttons or 3am phone calls.

As an aside to my already too long comment, my reform rabbi cousin moved to Israel last year. He is mid-50's, vegan, peace-loving, generally menschy kind of guy.

Well his job in Israel (can't be a reform rabbi there) is working with Christian Zionists. It has caused a bit of tension between us because I hate that shit.

OK, shutting up and off the blogs.

Thanks for this great post.

Blogger Fran said...
Just leaving another comment so I can get follow up comments emailed to me- sorry!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It will be worth knowing where such teachings, known commonly as "Latter Rain" theology, are officially disapproved of by the Assemblies of God because of serious errors in Scriptural interpretation likely to cause schism among communities.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Many of the christians I know are just like me: off-radar, so to speak. I do not attend huge assemblies and I do not intend to run my children through extreme educational channels.

Too many, unfortunately, are living a life of blind faith and are disturbingly cut off from the rest of the world and happy to be that way. Their children grow up without any sense of what they come from or what their existence truly means.

I watch videos like this and want to pound my fists against my laptop. It makes me scream.
I *do* believe in End Times, and I *am* a christian, but I never run out of things in a day that make me cringe.

Having survived a non-christian cult as a teenager, my decision to enter this faith was carefully and thoroughly made.

Pardon my french but this woman scares the sh*t out of me. There is no love of God in her eyes, no Christ-like compassion in her demeanor, no indication of good stewardship in her ideology for the future.

She's a sociopath with the charisma of a cult leader if ever I laid eyes on one, and I *have*.

This woman is crazy. Her religion has nothing to do with a real God. She is blind and self-led, and worst of all she is leading others in her ways and a threat to national security if she leads this country from its helm.

I have never wanted to speak negatively about someone claiming my faith, but this facade has gone on long enough. THANK YOU for your blog. I will be following up with an entry in my own, as this cannot escape the public eye.
Blessings ...