"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Debate Reaction from Around the Blogosphere
Posted by Jill | 5:37 AM
Sorry I was AWOL last night, folks. Mr. Brilliant had the incredibly bad timing to come down with a cold late last week, and of course, after sounding off at my new job about how I never get sick, I got socked with it over the weekend. So last night I came home and after a bowl of homemade chicken soup and a soupç of Ben & Jerry's Light Phish Food, it was off to bed for me and light-out log-sawing before Olbermann even came on.

So while the debate is safely ensconced on our quite possibly soon-to-be-disabled DVR for later viewing, you'll have to rely on some of my compatriots for reactions.

The intrepid (and prolific) Michael Stickings liveblogged the whole thing. So did the equally intestinally fortitudinous Blue Girl. Joe Sudbay too.

John Cole wrapped it up and visited his former right-wing friends to find them in a full-blown panic. You have to wonder what Barack Obama's Whitewater nonsense is going to be once he's elected. Because remember -- Republicans only believe in democracy as long as they win. Once they don't win, all bets are off. I just hope he's up to the challenge of cleaning up eight years of Bushista mess while defending himself against bogus charges.

A lot can still happen between now and the election, and I wouldn't underestimate the Republicans' ability to pull out some kind of October Surprise. I'm frankly more worried about a November Surprise, myself -- the kind of November surprise that involves Barack Obama leading by fifteen points going into Election Day, huge lines at polling places in minority neighborhoods, mass thuggery and arrests of black people and college students for parking tickets and Obama T-shirts, a squeaker "victory" for John McCain and his dominatrix sidekick, followed by the deployment of the United States Army to quell the violence in the streets as the Republican Party wrests the presidency away once again.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
1 Comments:
Blogger Charles D said...
Judging from your last paragraph, you may have already read Mark Crispin Miller's post on Why they chose Sarah Palin--and what to do about it.
A brief quote: "That is what it takes to steal elections in America--all of that, and also something else: a quick-'n-easy explanation for the outcome. For if those final numbers are surprising, there must be some rationale that can (apparently) account for them. And that is why the Bush machine put Sarah Palin next to John McCain. By arousing the hard core of vocal Christianists, they prepared the ground for the eventual redeployment of the same canard with which they justified their last unlikely "win": that millions of believers did the trick."

Hope you're feeling better soon. I didn't have your excuse, I just couldn't stomach that many McCain lies.