"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Saturday, October 18, 2008

Blogrolling in our time
Posted by Jill | 6:05 AM
I do tend to pick on Christianity a lot here at my little bloggerroo. My own spiritual leanings lie somewhere between Bill Maher and the millions of other lapsed Jews who find something meaningful by putting together a hodepodge of elements of Buddhism, Hinduism, paganism, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I currently work in a highly diverse environment, in which there are Hindus, Jews, lapsed and observant Catholics, various flavors of Christians, and even Muslims, who can still get together in a team building outing and participate in a Conga line. When you spend as much time steeped in contemporary politics as I do, this is a good thing. It reminds me that most people really ARE just looking to get through this level of reality as best they can and don't think it has anything to do with politics.

In my less angry moments, when I realize just how badly the Christofascist Zombie Brigades, whose current spokesmodel is one Sarah Heath Palin, have hijacked a religious figure who is still taken seriously by millions of people who don't think Christian doctrine is about keeping Republicans in power, I find myself seeking out people who are willing to take that guy back. Every now and then I come across people like Fran I Am, who manages to be a Christian and still recognize her messiah's roots as a community organizer and caregiver to the poor.

Today I add another one to the blogroll in the person of Sherry from A Feather Adrift. So I hope you'll join me in welcoming Sherry by visiting her blog and embracing her as one of the sane people who can help show people like me that WE don't have to become religious bigots of another stripe in order to thrive in Pastor Muthee's world.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
5 Comments:
Blogger Distributorcap said...
sherry is terrific...... love her stuff

Blogger Billie Greenwood said...
Second the motion. She is great.

Blogger Lisa Wines said...
Man, your first paragraph describes me exactly. Thank you for helping me "find the way."

And, because I personally now know three Christians that are amazing people, I too have to tone down my vitriol. Easier said than done. I see what the Palinistas are doing and my blood pressure hits the roof. I want to run out the door screaming but this is France and that sort of thing is frowned upon. Or maybe just shrugged at.

I shall go visit both of your Christian friends and will be happy to now know exactly five nice ones. Let's hope that their are a gazillion more who get mad enough to stand up for that Jesus guy who "palled around" with prostitutes (or at least one) and whose main message, I believe, was LOVE.

Blogger Fran said...
Sherry is really a great observer of life at many levels... and then a wonderful writer about how she expresses what she sees.

Thanks for the link and I loved finding a comment from OHMYWORD on my blog- she has quite a great page herself.

Not all Christians are haters- in fact I am going to posit that most of us are not. Sadly those who are haters, are loud enough, arrogant enough and speak from their bully pulpits 24/7.

I apologize for them and I would always rather cast my lot with others than with them!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I must say, thank you! Such a nice piece. Thanks so much for the mention. I love your blog and link frequently on my political blogging. That of course is the main emphasis of my blog, but I do like to add my religious/philosophical bent to. You're one of the best political bloggers and I always find good stories.