"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saturday Big Blue Smurf Blogging: What They Said
Posted by Jill | 2:10 PM
Today's honoree: Kevin Drum, for wondering why it is that we can't afford health care and we can't afford to help people keep their homes, but when executives run corporations into the ground, the taxpayer checkbook is open.

Money quote:
So: why are we willing to fund an enormous RTC-like agency to bail out bankers, but not an enormous RTC-like institution to bail out ordinary people? Lack of lobbyists? Republican ideology? A desire to punish irresponsibility regardless of the disastrous sytemic consequences? Or what?


I know! (Raises hand.) It was to sucker people with one hand gripping onto the middle-class ladder into buying houses they couldn't afford so that they would inevitably fall back into poverty; and to make sure that the rest of the middle class would follow shortly thereafter.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
1 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
>...why it is that we can't afford health care and we can't afford to help people keep their homes, but when executives run corporations into the ground, the taxpayer checkbook is open.

It's not often that I agree with you so vehemently, but here I do. Right on, man!!! (Sorry, but I just recently saw "Hair" in Central Park, and I'm still in that "Hippie" vibe.)