"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Monday, September 08, 2008

Rachel!!
Posted by Jill | 10:42 PM
It's clearly a show that's got to get itself together yet, but the debut tonight of "The Rachel Maddow Show" on MSNBC got off to a promising start, even if it did have a bit too much Keith Olbermann. We are huge Keith fans here at B@B, but the segment on the Obama interview felt a bit like "repurposing content", which is of course exactly what it was.

While I love the cheeky snark of calling a segment featuring Pat "Culture Wars" Buchanan "It's Pat" (with Buchanan seemingly unaware of the irony), I think the last thing Pat Buchanan needs is yet MORE air time on MSNBC. And Rachel doesn't seem quite able yet to keep him under control:



I'm not getting a funny, SNL-type Point/Counterpoint "Jane you ignorant slut" vibe out of this; both seem a bit too angry for this to do what it's clearly supposed to. But this is the oddest couple on television, and if it works better over time it'll be replayed right up there with the opening monologues on The Daily Show.

And of course the return of the great Kent Jones to Rachel's side caused much joy and huzzahs to emanate from Casa la Brilliant. Now if "Lawton Smalls" returns to the upcoming Seder v. Maron video show (watch this blog for updates and premiere dates), I can almost think the good old days are back.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger Bob said...
Buchanan might have been foisted on her because he was already paid for. It may take awhile for her to get the playmates she really wants in her play room.

Blogger Toby said...
I really did enjoy the debut of Rachel up until the Pat Buchanan segment... I could tell she was pissed by the end of it. And it made for tense less than funny ending with Kent Jones - whom I actually like but I think I like him better with snark and sound effects on the radio - time will tell.

I really am not a big fan of Pat's... not so much for the counter views... but he's rude and loud.

I think Rachel will do fine once she gets her groove going... and like Bob wrote can chose her own playmates.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
We really didn't need another Obama follower on this network that just got rid of Tucker.