"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, August 22, 2008

First Andrew Sullivan, now David Brooks? What is the world coming to?
Posted by Jill | 6:23 AM
It isn't bad enough that I'm going to be unemployed in a week, now I have to find myself agreeing with not just Andrew Sullivan, but David Brooks as well?

Barack Obama has decided upon a vice-presidential running mate. And while I don’t know who it is as I write, for the good of the country, I hope he picked Joe Biden.

Biden’s weaknesses are on the surface. He has said a number of idiotic things over the years and, in the days following his selection, those snippets would be aired again and again.

But that won’t hurt all that much because voters are smart enough to forgive the genuine flaws of genuine people. And over the long haul, Biden provides what Obama needs:


...and for once I'm going to tell you to go read the rest.

It isn't that Biden is the dream candidate. He's a hack to end all hacks, and I can't get that image of him saying "I like you....you're the real deal" to Alberto Gonzales" out of my head. That he said it as part of a typically long-winded Biden diatribe that when read in full, is meant to disarm Gonzales through bonhomie while asking him tough questions is immagerial. It's that one line that we remember. He's an attention hog, he was entirely too chummy with the gasbags of the Sunday morning "news" shows, and then there's that disastrous bankruptcy bill, which now looks definitively like what it was -- an early attempt to keep lenders and credit card companies from holding the bag whenthe housing bubble burst.

But it's his very brash style that would be a terrific counterpoint to Obama's more measured, thoughtful, unflappability. Imagine a campaign where the #1 guy who's the cool customer you want doing the thinking in the crisis, and the #2 guy who's leaping around like a puppy. That image of Dan Quayle being introduced in 1984 just popped into your head, didn't it? Now imagine that the leaping puppy has 30 years of experience in not just navigating the hackery of Washington, but foreign policy cred behind him.

And now I just want to go back to bed. Because the fact that I linked to David Brooks without the word "idiot" appearing in its context is just too depressing.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
2 Comments:
Blogger merlallen said...
That had to have hurt. I'm not reading that either, I hate that guy.

Blogger D. said...
My brain must be working. In the morning!

"Imagine a campaign where the #1 guy who's the cool customer you want doing the thinking in the crisis, and the #2 guy who's leaping around like a puppy."

Unfortunately, what popped into my mind was Laurel and Hardy. Scrubbing produced Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor. Serious scrubbing and rinsing with clear water produced Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in Some Like It Hot.

And that's the second time Some Like It Hot has come up this week. Must be time to see it again.

(I wish he'd pick Barbara Boxer, but that's probably out of the question.)