"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Thursday, August 21, 2008

Here's why I hope it's Biden
Posted by Jill | 3:26 PM
Yes, I said it.

I'm hoping Obama picks Joe Biden.

Yes, THAT Joe Biden. Senator MBNA. Senator "I like you...you're the real deal" -- said to none other than Alberto Gonzales at the latter's confirmation hearing.

I'm so ashamed.

And yet, Senator Joe Biden is the one singlehandledly responsible for the collapse of Rudy Giuliani's presidential hopes. And he did it with one devastating sentence: "Every sentence out of his mouth is a noun, a verb, and 9/11." He said it, Americans realized it was true, and that was the end of that.

We need Joe Biden because Barack Obama needs a "bad cop" with a gift for the one-liner.

These days, John McCain's campaign is using "He was a POW" as the answer to everything. He couldn't have cheated and listened to Rick Warren questioning Barack Obama while in the car because he was a POW. It doesn't matter that he cheated on his first wife and may have cheated on The Lovely Cindy because he was a POW. It doesn't matter that he was up to his eyeballs in the Keating Five scandal because he was a POW. He gets a free pass on everything because he was a POW. Now Eric Kleefeld at TPM Election Central tells us that the McCain campaign says that the fact that Senator Gigolo doesn't know how many houses he has doesn't matter....wait for it....because he was a POW!

Joe Biden, start working. We need a good one-sentence smackdown of this repeated and increasingly ridiculous use of the POW card.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger adam k. said...
Well, the other solution is Biden could start unleashing the one-liners as a surrogate. There's no rule that says you have to be on the ticket. He was, after all, not on any ticket when he was eviscerating Rudy, and wasn't nominated for his trouble either. I vote he comes out swinging whether or not he's picked.

But I'd be pretty happy with him right about now, too. Excellent "bad cop" credentials. The one thing that really worries me is that he kills Obama's "30 years in Washington" attacks on McCain... and doesn't add executive experience or a swing state, either.

Blogger adam k. said...
ftr, I believe the best choice is and always has been Wesley Clark. He's the ONLY one who has:

A) executive experience
B) foreign policy experience
C) military experience (and how!)
D) attack dog skills
E) Southern whiteness
F) "Washington outsider" cred
G) a degree in economics
H) intelligence to spare
I) a solidly progressive record

My only qualm is that he comes off kind of unlikeable (read: too smart/elitist) when attacking McCain, which could be a problem. Perception is key. Is voters don't identify with him, they won't listen.

But other than that, he's SO perfect. I want so much for him to be the choice.

Blogger Jennifer Briney said...
Hi Jill,

As you know by now, I'm a youngin' so I don't know what the Keating Five scandal was all about, even though I have heard the name thrown around quite a bit. I also have no interest in researching it, to be honest. If you ever find yourself without a post idea (maybe during the RNC propaganda extravaganza week), would you consider filling me in? I would be more than happy to give you some linky love as soon as I get my blog back in gear (we're getting settled here in Hawaii and it took me over a month to find a job. I'll be starting my job as a cocktail waitress on Wednesday. So glad my parents blew $120,000 on my degree).

Thanks for keeping me in the loop during my travels and for the doses of sanity since I've returned