"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Meanwhile, back at Camp Grandpa Simpson
Posted by Jill | 5:27 AM
I don't mean to make fun of the elderly. My parents are elderly. Hell, I'm not that far off myself from being elderly. But you won't ever see my parents trying to pass themselves off as "agents of change", and you won't even see ME selling myself as an "agent of change" -- except to the extent that I can provide help to the younger people who are now steering the car as we pass off the baton (and the mixed metaphors too, apparently) to the next generation.

Barack Obama is only seven years younger than I am, but I would never in a million years, if I were running against him for Freeholder, let alone President, dare call him the candidate of the status quo while I, with my hotflashes and spreading waistline and every-five-weeks visits to the hairdresser to have my hair colored, am the young whippernapper of a brave new world.

But then, I'm not John McCain:


McCain shared the stage with Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who is frequently mentioned as a potential running mate. Jindal and several others spent the Memorial Day holiday at McCain's compound in Sedona, Ariz.

"A lot of people have been speculating about that," Jindal said as he warmed up a crowd of about 600 people. "I can tell you the secret now: John is a great cook."


I'm sure he is. You can't buy all of the media in the United States unless your barbecued ribs have just the right amount of sweet and spice and are fall off the bone tender. It does, however, sound like McCain is planning to see our black guy and raise us an Indian guy (I guess one pigmented guy is the same as another if you're John McCain, and Condi is just too tainted by her association with the Bush Amdinistration).

In the speech, McCain laid out his core argument, that he has a record of working for reform and offers the kind of change that the country needs, while Obama makes empty promises of a new direction and offers the wrong kind of change.

"No matter who wins this election, the direction of this country is going to change dramatically," McCain said. "But the choice is between the right change and the wrong change; between going forward and going backward."






Nothing like a speech given in front of a puke-green background when you're a sallow man trying to look youthful, eh? Or as Dr. Atta J. Turk said, "Oh, Go with the Green Background...It'll make you look like the cottage cheese in a lime jello salad" Always a good look for an older gentleman."

Here's John McCain's "record of reform":

  • Voted "No" on increasing allocations for transit security (7/12/2006)
  • Voted "No" on increasing access to women's health care services, including those for the purpose of preventing unintended pregnancy (3/7/05)
  • Voted "No" on allowing those injured by flu vaccines to sue (5/3/2006)
  • Voted "Yes" on prohibiting federal funding to groups that perform abortions, even if those groups are primary providers of women's health care in a given area. (10/18/07). Interesting side note; The sponsor of this bill was Sen. David Vitter (R-Hookers)
  • Yesterday's speech was in New Orleans -- a place for which on 11/7/2005, McCain voted "No" on amending the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax benefits for areas affected by Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Wilma.
  • Voted "Yes" on a bill to expand FISA to allow electronic surveillance of foreigners outside the U.S. without a court order and grant immunity to electronic communication surveillance providers
  • And Mr. Maverick voted "No" on a bill that increases regulations on members of Congress regarding lobbyists and donations.


Want more? It's all here.

Now, I'm in no way convinced that in this topsy-turvy world in which a president got away with taking us to war based on lies and convincing us that Guy B was behind the September 11 attacks barely months after telling us that it was Guy A, the increasingly tired, doddering, and dougty-seeming McCain won't be able to get away with convincing enough people that he, the white guy from the privileged family with the rich wife and the eight homes, is the agent of change while the black guy, who was raised by a single mom and went to college on scholarships, is the same old, same old. So it's going to be our job to get the truth out there. Because not even John McCain gets to make up his own facts.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
2 Comments:
Blogger SPIIDERWEB™ said...
Sorry, John, but I can't agree with you. I expect the country to change direction next year. It'll be incrementally with Obama and non-perceptive with you.

Obama isn't gonna tip over the apple cart. He couldn't even if he wanted to. Congress wouldn't allow that. That is why there are three branches of government.

But I'm confident he will try to change the direction the horse pulls the apple cart (hey, good for me on the metaphor). He will press Congress to change and slowly it just might happen.

My greatest hope is that he will abandon the delusions of grandeur and restore the rule of law, Constitution and Bill of Rights.

No more unitary executive nonsense. We've suffered one near-dictator/monarch. We don't need another.

And I'm hopeful he will discard any notion of preemptive strikes against any sovereign nation.

I have more hopes, but I'll save those for later.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I know I said this when I was contemplating the last round of Presidential debates and somehow Bush survived (what was that mysterious box under his suit jacket???), but I am looking forward so much to the debates between Obama and McCain. I think Obama has the discipline that I don't to politely stomp McCain into a bloody mush.

And I agree that Obama is not going to change the world. Fixing the mess that Bush is leaving is all I ask. The rest will be gravy.