"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, April 13, 2008

Obama was right: When people are bitter, they DO turn to guns
Posted by Jill | 11:37 AM
including his opponent:

Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

“You know, some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It’s part of culture. It’s part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it’s an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter.”


Minutes later, in a slightly awkward moment, Clinton faced a question from a woman in the audience whose son had been paralyzed by a gunshot. The woman asked Clinton what she would do about gun control as president.

Clinton touted her husband's record on gun control during his administration, and said "there is not a contradiction between protecting Second Amendment rights" and the effort to reduce crime.

Noting that many hunters and gun collectors want to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, Clinton referred to her positive childhood experiences with firearms.

"As I told you, my dad taught me how to shoot behind our cottage,” she said. “I have gone hunting. I am not a hunter. But I have gone hunting."

Clinton said she has hunted ducks.


Can we PLEASE get on with this....one way or another....somehow? We are starting to look ridiculous.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
*Sigh.*

I'm a good shot. And this is embarrassing.

Blogger eRobin said...
Can we PLEASE get on with this....one way or another....somehow?

We can get on with it b/c we're sensible adults. But come the general campaign, there will be no getting on with it. For the first time in my mind, Obama truly became unelectable. There's too much now for the crazy RWNM to amplify. We're looking at at least four years of Pres. McCain.

Blogger Jill said...
And do you think that it would be any different....any better....with Hillary Clinton as the nominee? Especially the way Bill has been flapping his gums?

We might have had a shot if Mitt Romney were the nominee, but with the media mancrush on Teflon John, I'm not sure why we're even going to go through the motions.

Blogger Bob said...
She is so full of doo doo. I grew up around guns - muzzle loader rifles, even a cannon -my dad was a Revolutionary war Re-enactor. & I engaged in a little, very little, small game hunting as a kid. But I wouldn't presume to say I relate well to people who kill, gut, & eat deer as a family tradition (& I'm not antihunting as a matter of ethics) or to guys who own a room full of legal guns & love them more than they love their wives & kids. Those are other cultural worlds for me. But I do understand the angry white working class in way Hillary never could.